If the ultrasound says I'm 6 weeks, how accurate?

I really want my babys due date accurate or at least close. How far off can an ultrasound be. Has anyone asked their doctors? I forgot to ask mine this week!

ohprettymommy

Asked by ohprettymommy at 1:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the first ultrasounds are the most accurate because there are soo many differences in growth development from week to week at that age. The size of the baby also will help them determine how old the baby is.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Not very. And even then, NOTHING in this whole wide world will be dead on. You have a due month....meaning, You are term between 38 and 42 weeks. Not even if you knew the exact second the sperm and egg met and implanted, you still won't know when baby will be ready. It is up to baby when it comes...when it releases the labor hormone.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• so if you are 6 weeks pregnant. You have roughly 34 more weeks to go (give or take 2 weeks because babies are never predictable).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The date of your last period and conception time is your best bet. But even that isn't going to tell you the day you deliver. I knew the time, place and ate down to the HOUR of mine's conception and periods were like clockwork and dd was born at 41 weeks. Anytime the give you a due date its an estimate. Anywhere from 38-42 weeks is normal and considered full term. Even when they start telling you things like the baby's head is down in the pelvis, you're starting to dialate and eface, so on and so on it's still the baby's decision when to enter the world unless there is an induction(which still doesn't always work) or a c-sec(which I don't reccomend unless its life or death unless you love pain and not being able to move)
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• First trimester ultrasound are supposed to be accurate within 3 to 5 days in either direction. It pretty much means you're between 5.5 and 6.5 weeks. I do NFP now, so I would know the date of ovulation, which is much more accurate.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's not 100%, but mine was very close with both children.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thanks :)! Very helpful. I won't even stress it, because even if they knew how far I was my family rarely goes the full 10 months in having babies.
    ohprettymommy

Comment by ohprettymommy (original poster) at 5:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree that it is not 100%. When I was pregnant with DS I went 3 days past my "due" date. Congrats on the new baby. I hope you have a safe and healthy pregnancy and delivery and you and baby are happy and healthy.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I knew the exact date of conception (because we were working with a fertility specialist- I was laying on a table! :)) and she came 3 weeks early because I developed severe preeclampsia- and when the Dr. told me we had to deliver, I wasn't ready and said, no I have 3 more weeks! So, you have to be ready anytime in your last month or so!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 3:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's usually fairly accurate.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010