WHAT KIND OF CHORES WOULD YOU PUT YOUR 10,8.AND 4 YEAR OLD TO DO?

BABY312

Asked by BABY312 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• 10 year old- dishes

8 year old- help with laundry

4 year old- none, except maybe help wipe off counters or tables but you'd have to go behind them and touch up.
    Anonymous

• My children are 11, 9 and 6 and they help with the following:

11 and 9 - put their laundry away, set the table and clear the table, put dishes away, take out trash, clean rooms

6 - puts laundry away, set and clear table, and clean room

When my kids were 4 they made their beds and helped clean their rooms.

I think that children need to learn that helping around the house is important because we all help make the mess so we can all help clean it.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• when my son was 4 he was smart and would give me his laundry when i asked and helped me with putting the toilet paper on the roll thing, pick up his toys, etc
    Anonymous

• My 5 year old cleans up his toys, his cloths, brings me his dirty laundry, cleans up his plate after he eats, dusts......

BOTH of my kids ages 5 and 3....get a kick outta putting forks and spoons in the dishwasher and putting the detergent ball in......not sure why....but I am going with it....;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I think any child who is old enough to pull out their own toys is old enough to pick them up. Maybe the younger ones can't put them neatly back on a shelf, but they can at least gather up the legos into the box, or the game pieces, or whatever it is. All your children are old enough to help pick up their rooms, and common areas. The youngest one, can help bring in light groceries like paper product, bread, etc. If you give him/her a swiffer, I'll bet the dusting gets done in a fun manner, too!
    The older children can help bring in the other groceries, sweep/vacuum, take out garbage, make the beds, etc.
    I'd let each one "help" plan the dinner menu on a regular basis ("Tuesday is Tommy's night, Wednesday is Wendy's") with certain guidelines: choose a veggie from List A, a meat from List B, dessert, etc...
    Have fun! It's rewarding to see kids take on responsibilities and share. It gives more Family Time to everyone!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My 4 and 3 year olds put away dishes they can reach, clean their rooms, make their beds, they love vaccuming and sweeping the kitchen floor, bringing in groceries. I give them rags with Pledge on them and they dust. I give them the Windex wipes, and they clean the windows. Sure, sometimes the windows aren't perfect, but they have fun, its busy work, and it teaches them how to do it. They feed the dog. They take things out to the recycling bin. I even had them weeding the yard this summer. They love doing chores. As for the older ones, offer an allowence to get them motivated
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 10:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008