How can i work out my core?

I recently hurt my back and the therapist that i am going to is telling me i need to work my core. And it just seems that since my Cesarean Section 2 years ago it has been hard to get those muscles to work.
Can any of you help me?

mandic

Asked by mandic at 1:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I suffered a back injury when I was younger. The excercise I do the most is so simple, I do it while driving usually. Sit up straight, drop your shoulders, feet hip width apart and gently bring your stomach muscles in and up ( like when you take a deep breath but hold the muscles there). This is your neutral position with ideal posture. Then you simply contract your mucle creating a slight curve in your back but try to maintain the lift in you abs and keep your shoulders down. This is your contraction, hold 1 count and return to neutral. then do just the opposite, stretch your stomach while maintaining your lift and creat a slight arch to your back. Return to neutral. this is one set. Do 15 sets. Its important to keep your hips stable and not to let them rock when you are contracting and stretching. Also join a pilates class!!!!!!!!!!! Can't recommend this enough!
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 2:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You can do the cat/cow pose in yoga. Get on all 4s, hands under shoulders, knees under hips. When you exhale, tighten your stomach muscles to pull your stomach in and round your back up towards the ceiling. Inhale and slightly arch your back. Don't go too far and go REALLY slowly so you don't injure yourself. Also, try the pelvic tilt. You lie on your back, knees bent and feet on the floor. Exhale and tighten your stomach muscles, trying to tilt your pelvis up towards the ceiling. This exercise worked the best for me after my C-section.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 7:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Planks help. Start in push up postions then drop your arms down so your resting on your forearms. Hold as long as you can while contracting stomach muscles
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I've always done the plank to strengthen my core. Side planks are great too
    cmcook89

Answer by cmcook89 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2010