BREASTFEEDING AND TEETHING

MY BREASTFED TWINS ARE ABOUT TO START TEETHING. IM SCARED THEY WILL BITE ME WHEN THEIR TEETH COME IN. THEY ALREADY TRY CHEWING ON ME. IT HURTS. HOW SHOULD I DEAL WITH THIS?

Brown-Sugga

Asked by Brown-Sugga at 1:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dealt with it right away at the chewing with my oldest. Whenever he would start chewing, I would unlatch him. Then if he was still hungry, I would let him latch back on. He learned pretty quickly that if he started chewing, his meal got interrupted. He only bit me once after he had teeth. I screamed and jumped. It scared the crap out of him, and he never did it again. DD has bit me a few times. But she was a little older when she started. (She was almost 10 months when she got her first tooth). If she bites, I unlatch her and put her down for a while. She learns that biting means meal is over. The last time she bit me was a couple of weeks ago. And its been maybe 5, 6 times total, and only once at all hard. She's never broken the skin.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my mom told me I bit her just once, she unlatched me and let me be hungry for 20 minutes and it was never again a problem
    SavanaF.

Answer by SavanaF. at 5:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my twin boy did bite me a few times. because i didn't want to disturb my twin girl, he got away with it more than he should have. I bled once, and that was all it took for me : )
    I say try to nip it in the bud now.
    try to remove them when they chew and say no.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• They can't bite you when they are actively nursing as the tongue covers the lower teeth. A bite usually happens when baby is done nursing and just "hanging out", or during latch on. You can usually figure out when your LO tends to bite down and take him off before he does.
    Also, some babies never bite, so don't assume it will absolutely happen!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010