Pediatrition Vs. Family dr

So I really dont like my ped but i love my family dr. Does anyone know if its ok not to have a ped and just have a family dr? My daughter is 4.5 months. I just want her to get the best care :)

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My children go to our family DR. She is great and we have been seeing her since my middle child was born and he is now 9. She is great with the kids and they really like her. I like her because she is not only good with the kids she is also great with me.

I think that if you love your family DR then you should switch. You need to feel comfortable with your child's DR.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I say if you daughter is healthy with no significant or complicated issues, a family doctor should be fine. It's great that you have one you trust implicitly, most doctors will let you know if there is an issue with your child that they don't feel comfortable taking care of.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i only have a family dr. i was one of his nurses before i became a sahm in may.. so i know how he works and i trust him with my life and the lives of my children!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 9:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son has gone to the family doc since his two week check up. Its a big practice and the docs take turns doing hospital rounds, so another (and just as awesome ) doctor was his attending in the hospital. It was an easy decision for us, since our son is the third generation of our families to be treated there.

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We only see our family doc. He is young and not a "know it all" so, if there is something he doesn't know he will ask someone or refer me to a specialist. My daughter doesn't like him, she doesn't like anyone. SO, if he sees her in public he will aggravate her. She doesn't smile so, he will tell her wheres that smile, wheres that smile. He is more like a distant friend.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I never took my 3 to a pediatrician. We just went to the family doctor and have had a great relationship with the practice.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 10:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have had nothing but Pediatricians and boy did I know how to pick them...I guess. So far it's been about 2 mos since now that we have a family Dr. in the family have I now started to use him. Boy it's amazing how many 1000s of ?s have gotten answered vs. the others in 4 yrs. What a difference it's made switching them away from the Pedi's!
    seleste7504

Answer by seleste7504 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would love to switch out kids to our family doctor, but I really love their pedi. Well, that and both my kids were preemies and one has asthma and his pedi is, I don't want to say "expert" but she knows A LOT about asthma so we take the kids there.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I started off taking my son to a pedi and was totally unsatisfied. I felt like just another patient to the staff, nurses and drs. We switched when my son was 4 months old and I am totally satisfied where we are now. I've never looked back!
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I've taken my oldest to the same family doctor for 11 years. My twins go to a pediatrician because they were preemies and I needed a doctor for them that specialized in preemies. I will be switching them to our family doctor in a couple of years. I'd do it now, but my DH doesn't feel comfortable with switching. Honestly, I don't see any difference between the family doctor and the pediatrician.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008