How to raise a not-a-picky-eater when you are a picky eater

I don't like beans. I don't like drinking milk. I don't eat certain meals if it's not prepared in certain way. (Luckily, my husband is opposite. He even doesn't ask what he's eating even when I prepare something unusual. He can eat ANYTHING.) However, he travels a lot, so my daughter is with her bad example most of the time... me. I don't like my bad habit, but can't change. I really want my daughter to be like my husband. Life is so much easier and meals are more enjoyable. Any advise? Thanks.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 9:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would tell her that when she is all grown up, she can decide that she doesn't like certain foods, but when she's little she needs to eat all different kinds of food so that she'll grow big and strong. I worry about that too, my hubby won't eat any cooked veggies, he hates onions, mushrooms, rice, cake, pie etc. He is literally the pickiest eater I've ever met. I will eat most anything, but I worry my daughter will start to notice as she gets older and stop eating veggies.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I am a very picky eater, don't drink milk, hate fruit and most vegetables. I started my kids very young on eating everything. Just because I don't eat it I still make it for my kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I'm the same way....VERY picky eater. Hate fresh fruit and veggies, yogurt, salad...basically anything healthy I hate LOL! But my hubby will eat anything, so that helps out with what the girls eat. Even though I don't like that stuff, I still buy it for them so they will hopefully continue to eat it. At the moment, they eat just about anything. I have found very few foods that they won't at least try. I HATE yogurt and so does hubby, but it's in the fridge everyday cause the girls can't get enough of it LOL! Same with the fruits and veggies...I'd say make sure you keep the sweets to a very minimum so they don't ask for them all the time and just continue to feed her heatlhy foods even if you don't like them.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 12:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I make them try anything new. We all have to at least try it, and then if we don't like it we can choose not to eat it. Even I will try something new to set a good example for them. It is a rule in our house and the kids don't question it. Then, if I know they don't like something (peas for example) I will cook peas for those who like it and corn for those who don't. That way they have options on the table and you won't feel bad forcing a veggie they hate on them and yet you can be assured they are getting enough to eat, and they felly better when they have options, gives them a sense of control.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2008