How do you curb your rage when your really angry?

like the kids really do something to make you wanna throw em against the wall and remind them who the boss is and to learn respect but you know you can't do that.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:37 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• When you reach the boiling point, it's best to remove them or yourself from the situation until you can calm down & collect your thoughts on the appropriate way to handle the situation. Ugly, hurtful things can be said or done in the heat of the moment, so it's best to calm down first, then deal with them/their behavior.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The best thing to do is to discipline before you become angry. If you think in terms of training your children in how to behave as adults, and you see something that is going to lead them into a direction that is disrespectful or disobedient, you should deal with it immediately upon seeing it, before you get mad about what they are doing. That way, you will never be disciplining in anger.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I tell the little one to go to her room. Then I put myself in a time out. Time outs are not just for kids. They are for parents and other adults too. It is time for you to collect your thoughts and your sanity. Then you can address the problem at hand. Usually, I find that dd is so sorry for what she did by the time I cool down that no further action is needed.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 8:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I put them in their room..put the baby gate up..and I go outside...for at least 20 mins...no matter what I hear or how much screaming they do I take a break...I have 2 sons and they like to see who can get on my last nerve the most..so I've learned that my taking some me time and showing them that they can act like an idiot and mommy isn't having it...or ask a grandparent to babysit for a few hours
    Mrs.Jeremy

Answer by Mrs.Jeremy at 9:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with Nanny, I don't let things get so out of hand that I feel that way. My girls know what the established boundaries and rules are, and when they start to head in the wrong direction I'm on top of it before it ever gets out of hand. Some days it can be pretty tiring as an only parent, having to always be on alert - but that's ok, that's a parents job.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I just feel that fire boil up like a volcano and explode and tell him to get out of my site and he runs off screaming then I stand there fuming not knowing where to release. I end up going outside and taking a walk. But I feel bad leaving my DH alone with that tension in the air.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I scream as loud as i can into a pillow it realy releaves the pressure!
    gypsy_rose

Answer by gypsy_rose at 1:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010