Soooo, no one wants new taxes

America is in a whole so big I'm not sure she can even climb out. Thank goodness enough people are realizing that.
To what degree, I do not know but the Democrats will lose enough seats so that they will not be able to push through any more lousy bills, amendments or laws that will kill more jobs and prohibit recovery and growth. That's the easy part. Fixing the problem is harder.
The Republicans will try again and get things through that the Dems would not give the time of day. Do you believe it can be done without raising any taxes?
Are you going to be all pissed off if Republicans at some point say we can't fix this without raising taxes or adding fees somewhere? (anywhere but payroll because that won't happen).

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course no one "wants" higher taxes. However, we will not be able to go without raising at least some taxes. A lot of economists are saying that after the economy recovers a little bit, taxes WILL have to be raised. Either way it will happen if federal spending cuts require the states to raise taxes in order to keep operating. Most (if not all) state and local governments get federal grants and aid to operate.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Also, while I wont necessarily "mad" when Republicans vote for tax cuts, I will be irritated that they spend all their time complaining that Dems raise taxes but yet they will do it themselves the minute they get the chance. The fact of the matter is that the only way to get the government budget under control will be a mix of higher taxes and spending cuts.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't think it's necessary to raise taxes - just spend the money you have responsibly. Look at it this way, when gas went to $4 / gallon, most people adjusted a little here and a little there, and kept going. This is what I'd love to do - take each of the appropriations bills, cut them into chunks of 10 pages or less, and then post them and the money - let people analyze that piece, determine if it's really necessary, and do some webcast type of feedback - once you see how many billions we spend on stupid stuff you'll agree - most of the congress' job is to make sure more money goes into their district than came out in taxes - that's the mindless philosophy of these politicians, Dems and Repubs alike - BTW, the Libertarians are closer to my philosophy, but unfortunately there are some extremists who give the party a bad name.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 8:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Stacy, I seriously don't think it will be "as soon as they get the chance" Republicans will, unlike Dems do everything they can before raising any taxes. I am unsure that we will not recover completely from this hole with just tax cuts and belt tightening. I believe it will go a long way towards recovery but I'm wondering if conservatives expect Republicans to magically fix things.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't expect Republicans to magically fix things, but maybe they can put the brakes on us going down this horrible path to destruction. Seems like Obama and the Dems want to keep pressing the gas and sending us faster and faster there.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It is time for the democrats and republicans to stop worrying about their party and put the country first.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No..conservatives,even the strongest of,could not fix things in a short period of time..it is a massive mess and will take YEARS to get straigntened out..but it sure would be nice to be moving towards it instead of away from it..right?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Republicans will, unlike Dems do everything they can before raising any taxes.
    ________________________
    A little unfair to say since taxes have not been raised. Are you saying its only an emergency if the republicans do it? The fact of the matter is no amount of belt-tightening will erase the deficit, much less start paying back the debt. It will have to be a combination. Thats just the way it is.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The fact of the matter is that the only way to get the government budget under control will be a mix of higher taxes and spending cuts.

***

Well, if this is a FACT, then why haven't Democrats EVER been in favor of spending cuts?!  Especially since those government spending sprees lead directly to higher taxes?!  If Democtrats actually believed in spending cuts, then we wouldn't BE in this mess in the first place.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Well, if this is a FACT, then why haven't Democrats EVER been in favor of spending cuts?!
    ___________________________________
    I don't know, why have republicans always ensured that the richest get the most tax cuts? I don't pretend to speak for the Dems in office. I am just stating the obvious. Do you disagree?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2010