volunteering for 3 year old

I'd like to start volunteering with my daughter, but I don't know what 3 year old can do. I prefer spending time on doing something than giving money, because I think it's a better experience for her, and I don't think she understands the value of money yet anyways. Any idea? Has anyone done something? Thanks.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 9:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know that I go into the schools and I have done the following:

I either read the children a book. I usually make sure it is something the teachers are okay with.

I have gone in and done craft project, I own a craft business, so I just choose one of the projects and we made Mother's Day gifts.

I also cut things at home for the class room.

I would talk to the teacher and see what help they need. Usually they are very good at telling you what would work best for the class room.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Visiting the sick and/or those in nursing homes may be a good thing to do with your 3-year-old. The elderly, especially, those in nursing homes often do not have family or friends that visit them and they are starved for attention and would LOVE the change to visit with a little one.

My dad and my husband grandma both spent their days in a nursing home before they passed away, and I know that they enjoyed seeing my kids, because it was their grand-children (or great grandchildren). Not only that but some of the other residents enjoy seeing the kids too.

So that's an idea for something that you can do with your 3 year-old that would be "easy" and could last as long as you and her are comfortable.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• At my church there is a group called, Faith in Action. I don't know how big this is, if it is around you, or if there is something else. But these volunteers will drive others to doctor's appointments, the grocery store, or other errands. They might go on the errands themselves. Help cook meals, clean house, yard work, read to them, spend time with them. There are so many people out there who are getting older, but not in nursing homes who need some kind of help. Other people have disabilities. Other people might need the help but for a little while. Not only will the two of you be giving, you will be 'getting' a whole lot in return. God bless you for wanting to contribute to society, and include your child. They are, really, never too young are they? You are a model for the rest of us!!!! I hope you two find something that fits the both of you!!!
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• How about at an animal shelter?
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 12:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2008