should i give my 19 month old vitamins?

My son has gotten a viral infection about every 6 weeks or so since he was born. He is in day care now and of course is getting a little sicker more often. Would vitamins help build up his immune system or what can I do?

bandcmaitland

Asked by bandcmaitland at 8:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children should always have vitamins... I'm sure that it could help him out but it's definatly good for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Whoops didnt mean to answer anon....
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes, everyone needs vitamins.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 9:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I totally agree. He should definitely be on a multivitamin. You should call your Pediatrician ASAP. I am really surprised that your childs DR. did not have him on a vitamin already. My son has always been on a vitamin since he was at least 3 months. They start babies off with a liquid vitamin with a dropper and as soon as they can chew a vitamin safely they go on a childrens vitamin. The Dr. will probably prescribe a liquid. You could get it by prescription of maybe he can recommend one over the counter. Either way get a vitamin ASAP. I would also try to figure out how the child may be getting sick. If the child is in daycare regularly that may be why. Perhaps the daycare is not properly cleaning the toys etc. I always carry baby wipes and clean my sons hand after he touches things in public and you could also use antibacterial gel in travel sizes. Wash the childs hands when they come home and tell others that come over too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• ive always had mine on a multivitamin there is a liquid form little more expencive but thats youre baby untill he took to chewables my pediatrition and i have never realy discused it but she always tells me to continue with ,the liuid u can get at krogers wallmart,,,not that im a germaphobic but they also have a non-arisol disinfectant spray that comes in a little travel bottle that comes in handy
    charles289

Answer by charles289 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I was talking to a nutritionist about this and if you give your child enough of a balanced diet there should be no need to give a vitamin. They pee out any extra vitamins not absorbed into their system, makes for expensive pee if he loves his veggies. But if he has a weak immune system you should always ask your doctor before doing anything!
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010