What good reads are out there to help educate myself on Spina Bifida

My unborn son has been diagnosed with Spina Bifida, and I'm not going to lie, I've never heard of this. When we were diagnosed I tried googling, that was an awful idea, so i was wondering what were some of the top reads that helped give you information without freaking you out, but more educated you and helped you prepare as much as you possibly can.

mrskovy

Asked by mrskovy at 8:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you check out groups on here. The special needs groups may have some moms with spina bifida. I do know there are varying degrees of it. Your child may or may not be able to walk. I don't think it effects the brain functions though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:10 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• moms with spina bifida
    mom with children that have spina bifida...sorry

matthewscandi

• I would suggest find a support group with moms whose kids have it. I've known people born that have relatively few signs and known some that were born paralyzed. There also have been successes in inutero surgery to correct it before birth. Some kids have no problems at all, some can walk with support crutches and some are paralyzed. My mom babysat a girl long ago that was paralyzed...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My cousin was diagnosed with it and they said it was so bad they should abort she was born without it and there was noothing wrong she's a healthy preteen today. Not saying the drs are always wrong or anything but pray and hope for the best while finding info on it
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2010