how to prepare my youngest for the role of big brother

Mrs.Jeremy

Asked by Mrs.Jeremy at 9:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old is he? We prepared our 7 year old by talking to him about it,and explaining it. We signed him up for a big brother class, and even celebrated big brothers eve (that was his idea). We bought and read books. We including him on talks about the baby, even naming.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 9:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Very simply. By that I mean, don't go overboard. Give him hugs and reassurance, but it's not necessary to make some huge production out of it for him. Kids transition really well when it's handled calmly and naturally.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• We gave our 4yo son a shirt when we told him, it says I'm going to be a big brother, he wears it all the time, his choice. He already picked out a toy for the baby for Christmas. He gives my belly 3 kisses every night, he started doing that all on his own(he says one is from Momma, since I can't reach my own belly lol). We read baby books, he likes learning new things about the baby each week. He's been on countdown since we told him. ;) He picked out the middle name. We just involved our son and talk about how he's going to be a good big brother and little things like that. Good luck. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• he'll be 3 in Oct...my oldest is already ready..I'm just worried that he'll be so mean cause he's use to being the baby of the house...I like the kissing the belly thing..that is so cute...thanks for all the answers it really helped me ;-)
    Mrs.Jeremy

Comment by Mrs.Jeremy (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• just tell him what to expect, the rest he'll learn naturally
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010