How do I get my son to like the bathtub again?

My son Logan was the biggest water baby until last weekend. We went to visit my mom for the weekend and I was giving him his night time bath. She doesn't have a tub mat and he tried to get up and he slipped and now he is really scared of the tub. I have to get in with him and I get all wet because he doesn't even want to put his feet in. He's been like this for that past four nigths and I'm afraid he's not going to get over it. Please help! I don't want him to be afraid of taking a bath now because it will cause HUGE problems when he's a teen.

HLAxers

Asked by HLAxers at 9:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him do it on his own when he is ready. My youngest was a waterboy. Loved the pools until one day in swimming lesson the teacher forced him under. Well, after I had my fit with her and scared half the class, i couldn't get him near a pool. It took a year. Now you would think he was a fish. He did it on his own and got over his fear on his own.
    Just give him time.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Surely he will get over it shortly... Maybe you should try getting one of the blow-up duckie bath tubs. You can just put it in side of the big tub & fill it up with water. Maybe this will at least get him to bathe without a huge fight for now until he forgets about slipping in your mom's tub.

Good luck! Sorry that I couldn't be of more help!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Owen went through a stage where he hated the bathtub. I had spent the week at my mom's without my husband (just a vaca, no maritial strife). he usually gives O his bath, and so evidently i didn't do it right, for a solid month afterwards, he hated the bath.

we ended up giving him showers (along with dad), and he loved it. eventually, he liked baths again. we started with just a little bit of water in the tub, and let him get in it in his own pace.

here's a tip for visiting when there's no bathmat: use a towel in the bottom of the tub. sure it'll get soaked and is a little bulky, but it gives some traction, and someone's watching the baby anyway, right?
    sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 10:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Well, he can't go without a bath. Everyone needs a cleaning now and then. Why not put him in the dry tub, fully clothed, with sneakers on his feet to help the grip. Let him play for just a few minutes to get readjusted. Each day, add just a little water, take off just a little clothing. Put him in with a swimsuit on. Keep the tennies! After a while, he'll want to play and splash again, and it shouldn't be so hard. Good luck!!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Do you have a bath mat? Try showing it to him on the floor outside the tub and have him stand and let him know it's not slippery there. Then put it in the tub and show him "look, it's OK here" then see if he's willing to try it in a dry tub. It might even be worth buying a new one with a neat design (let him pick it out) or get stickers and let him decorate the one you have. Kids are finicky. Might just take a while for him to get over it but do encourage him as much as possible.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008