Infant Sleep.....Staying Next To The Bed Vs. Transitioning Into The Crib

I have a 2 month old daughter & she sleeps next to our bed still. My husband suggested putting her in her crib at night. I really feel better about her being next to me. I am fearful of putting her in the crib in her nursery, because since she was 4 weeks old, she has been able to push herself to where she can roll onto her side. We have a baby monitor, but I'm just so afraid to put her in her crib, for fear that she's going to roll onto her tummy. How long did everyone keep their baby next to their beds & when did they introduce them to the crib? Is there any good way to keep them from rolling onto their belly when they get bigger & start to roll?

AshleighsMamma

Asked by AshleighsMamma at 9:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son stayed in a portable crib next to me until he was 9 months old. I just felt better this way.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• When they are able to roll in both directions (front to back and back to front) then it is okay for them to sleep on their tummy. I actually put my DD in her room at 2 weeks old. She wasn't able to roll both directions until she was 5 mos old. If you feel more comfortable with you next to your bed then leave her there otherwise you can use a sleep positioner to help her not be able to roll. I don't like the idea of them but if you need to use one to make you feel more secure then go ahead and do it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My older 3 slept in a bassinet in our room (not next to our bed) until they were sleeping through the night (around 6 months for the older 2, the younger one was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks but we kept her until 6 months because we didn't have a crib to put her in). My youngest dd stayed in our room until she was 16 months because we had no where else to put her. She was a really light sleeper and her older siblings would have kept her awake. I hated it. I never got any sleep because I was afraid to move because it always woke her up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2010