late start in school

Ok, so a few weeks ago I had posted a question similar to this.
My Coen was to start JK last Tuesday and he hasn't due to the fact that the school never called with a special plan for him to asses his needs. So he has been staying in daycare in the jk class.
Well the daycare called yesterday asking why he hasnt been in school and as it seems his registration wasnt complete on their end.
My question is.... Should I bring him into the JK class after all this mess is cleared up?? I was thinking of bringing him to school in morning then daycare in the afternoon. Ppl say that jk isn;t necessary but I want him to go with his friends, explore the option of a bigger school/ Help!!! I meet with the principal on Monday. What should I do?

Coensmom

Asked by Coensmom at 9:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would talk with the principal and figure it out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If you're meeting with the principal on Monday, try to enroll him in JK. It's probably a bit more school-like than daycare, so it will prepare him. My three year old has no interest in sitting still and learning, except in small 10 minute intervals. I would discuss what the JK entails, and make sure you think your child is ready.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would talk with the principal, see what their plan was to assess his needs, and go from there. If at all possible though, I would try and work out something where he could continue to interact and grow with the friends he has already made!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Hi. I'm sorry, but I don't know what jk is. My dd Brigid has Down syndrome and has just started kindergarten after two years of preschool in an integrated class (1/2 typically developing kids and 1/2 kids with special needs of all kinds). How has the school system assessed him in the past?
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• JK is Jr. KIndergarden where kids start at the age 4. Then its SK age 5 then grade 1. He is enrolled and was to start last year but they just didnt complete it. I will talk with Principal and the resource teacher at his daycare and see what they say. If he goes mornings at school and afternoons at daycare he gets the best of both worlds I guess? Thanks guys :)
    Coensmom

Comment by Coensmom (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• talk to the principal & see what would work best.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my 3 year old just started 3K... yes, kindergarten for 3 year olds... 3 days a week, 2.5 hours per day... she needs help with her speach and this is why we enrolled her... she LOVES it... and honestly, they spend most of their time playing... which is how kids her age learn... and while we pay tuition... if she misses a class or a week, or 6... it doesn't matter. at this age it's not "progressive" learning... each day they are on to a new topic in a way... sure they have "weather" month... but one day is sunny, one day is cloudy, etc... so if you missed those days you could sill join in on "snow" day...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Talk with the teachers & principle.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Who is responsible for his therapy? I live in MA and Early Intervention does it until the 3rd bday then they go off to public Pre-K and the school system is takes over therapy until they graduate (sometimes at 22).
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 7:28 AM on Sep. 17, 2010