My son is 9- is it too soon for this?

This morning, I noticed that my son had changed his pjs sometime in the night. When I asked him why he told me he woke up and his pants were wet but he didn't pee- so he must've spilled something(his words). I checked his pjs- they did not smell like urine and I couldn't find any wet spots. I don't know a whole lot about what boys go through at puberty. His dad and I are divorced and I don't always like how he handles things. Is he having wet dreams, do I need to talk to him about this- help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would say that you need to talk to him. Even if he is not having wet dream yet, although it sounds like he might be, you want to make sure he has the correct information.

I would let him lead the conversation. You could also get him the book "To Old for This, To Young for That" I got it for my 10 year old and he really enjoyed it. I read some of it and I know that they talk about things like erections and changes in your body.

I would make sure he is comfortable with things and if he is not ready to talk to you don't push him to hard. Let him know that you are there for him and that if he needs anything you will always be there.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I don't think its puberty he must have just had a dream and thought he spilt something on him

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I wouldn't, you may embarrass him. I have a nine year old and although I haven't encountered this yet, I know enough to let some things go. If there is a male role model that you trust and most importantly that he trusts, ask them to approach the subject with him, indirectly of course. I wouldn't worry about it unless it became something that was a frequent issue.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• "wet dreams" tend to leave a crunchy spot behind... (lol my husband does it almost nightly) so if it didn't smell like urine and isn't crunchy, I'd say he spilled something.
    Anonymous

• I just asked my husband, and he said he was in 5th grade when he had his first "wet dream."
    Anonymous