what to do about a child in my kindergarten class when parents wont

answer any e-mails,notes home, or massages left for them. This student I'll call "mitchie" comes in every day since the start of school and refuses to sit at the table with the other students. but will play with them. but like i said will not sit with them at lunch or during class. i had to get a separate desk for her but what am i to do it is hard to engage her in the lessons and class group activities

crouchingmommy

Asked by crouchingmommy at 10:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I believe the school councler and social worker should get involved
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:22 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Do you suspect that something is going on at home?
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You are the teacher? I am a teacher too....my first guess would be that she has an issue...If that is the only issue you have with her I would let it fly right now and try to incorporate her into groups as much as possible.

And talk to the school counselor as well.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• To swetpeas3mom:I have talked to both and the both of them said to keep an eye on her and report back to them if things get worse
    To maggiswan: yes and no on that
    crouchingmommy

Comment by crouchingmommy (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• To mom2twobabies: Yes i started teaching kindergarten this school year and she wont talk very much when asked question during lessons and class group activities
    crouchingmommy

Comment by crouchingmommy (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If they won't come to you, you go to them. There is nothing that I know of stopping you from visiting their home. And that will give a big heads up that something serious is wrong. They are probably just busy overworked parents who's forgot about your call. And I know plenty of people who don't check their messages or even mail regularly.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You should be documenting everything, and discussing this issue with a mentor teacher, the school psychologist/counselor or Principal--whomever is most appropriate in your situation. Everytime you send an email, I would be copying ("CC") your school's administration, so when the parents inevitably scream about some sort of injustice you can show your paper trail. I would also make copies (use a piece of carbon paper) of any notes sent home.

You should punish this student as you would any other child in your class. In my school we instituted a "star" policy (since we cannot take away recess), to earn monthly school-wide privileges. Every time a student is not prepared for class, did not do their homework, and/or is misbehaving, they lose a star. They start the month with 20 stars, if by the end of the month they have less than 10, they miss out on the special event! Each month the minimum stars will increase. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• She might be just shy. Some of the thing you say sound like that. Did you bring this up with the Principle?

Answer by louise2 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wld think they would be more eager to get involved b/c there is a troubled child and the parents dont seem to care... She is hindering the learning process for everyone in the classroom.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• To salemwitchchild: that is actually required at my school that we do that(document all correspondence with parents (to cover our rears) and can you just show up at a students house?? idk i'll ask if i can do that monday
    To lorikeet: I have talked to both(social worker and her assigned counselor) and the both of them said to keep an eye on her and report back to them if things get worse and my mentor teacher said i should try working with her a little one on one. and she is a sweet girl i just dont know what is wrong with her
    crouchingmommy

Comment by crouchingmommy (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2010