Why is unemployment still so high?

I notice the difference in Liberal and Conservative reasoning in answers all the time. I'd like to know why you think the jobs are not coming back

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There just isn't any to come back. A lot of businesses went to Mexico and China, spending is also still down.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's pretty simple. The market needs to readjust on it's own. All the spending in the world doesn't create permanent jobs, just temporary. The economy needs to go through a reset, which can't happen as long as they are falsely pumping it full of cash. What they can do is create an environment that's more friendly to job creation, with incentives to hire here. It's cheaper to fill jobs overseas.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The market needs to readjust on it's own.

This. Every time the Fed or congress tinker with the economy they screw it up (which is a very dumbed down way to explain basic macroeconomic theory). The organization of the Fed, and the built-in red tape that is supposed to make it difficult to impossible for congress to do anything in less than six months, as designed by the FF's, normally keep them from screwing it up too much. Lately, they've developed a habit of special midnight sessions, emergency meetings and strong arming things through under threat of instant worldwide attack campaigns against anyone who tries to hold it up, and those balances that are supposed to keep them out are failing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My opinion is that the Obama policies have made business owners(small and large) so unsure of what the future has to bring that they will not hire. When the threat of new taxes goes away so will the worry about "should I hire". It will still take time because as long as Obama is in office anything can happen but once they see his policies can no longer be forced upon America they will be able to focus on more of what will be happening in the future without the fear of new taxes every time they turn around. Of course jobs are not our only problem and there are others that we must conquer but once businesses feel more confident they can run a business without the government breathing down their necks it will be a huge help in getting them hiring again.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• What does the US manufacture, market and sell that is better quality and less expensive (factor in labor and benefits) than what can be made outside of the US? Are You willing to forgo WM's discounted prices on EVERYTHING and shop at your local mom and pop where prices are 2,3,10Xs higher? Are you willing to buy American only; put your money where your mouth is? Not likely, if you do not have a job, or one that pays far less than a living wage- At this point, small US businesses can not compete with the big dogs-the system is set up for them to fail.

We are currently a service country- I think Grace mentioned, that service jobs are "crappy jobs".....

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I didn't know it was... I never really got high here, even through the "bad part" of the recession...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I didn't know it was.

The national rate has been around 10% for over a year. So has the state of Pennsylvania. In the vast majority of the country it's been over 10%, most of it closer to 15 and even as high as 18. Generally, "normal" unemployment is accepted at around 5-6%. Anything above that is considered high, double that rate? Yes, it is bad everywhere, even if you don't notice it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• What everyone except Sabrina said.

Not bashing you Sabrina! I am glad it didn't get that high where you are. :)

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

Maybe you need better weed??

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with Steph, it's the uncertainty. Are the taxes going to go up and by how much? What increased costs are there going to be from HC reform, financial reform, cap and tax, er I mean cap and trade? Businesses (large & small) are sitting on their capital and trying to ride this out rather than hiring or expanding which would probably lead to hiring.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010