dp you think 8 is too young to let my daughter watch a history channel documentary on 9/11/01?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 10:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• When it happened schools were letting kindergartners watch it on TV.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Nope. This generation needs to know what happened... I say the earlier the better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• There was much to complain about in the days following 9/11, regarding the constant media replay. Given what I know about secondary stress trauma and related difficulties, it truly was irresponsible of the media to continually replay the event itself.

No, 8 years is not too young, providing you are with her while viewing and offering conversation about the events and supporting her emotions. But take your cues from her. If she is uncomfortable with what she is seeing, perhaps now isn't the best time.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 11:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Not at all.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:50 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• thanks. i want her to learn about it jsut didnt know if it was too much.
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• no I dont...my son is gone on a boy scout fishing trip right now....but when he gets home I was going to watch a bit with him and talk with him about tolerance in this world.

Its a TEACHABLE moment mom :) Thats teacher lingo :) lol Just make sure you watch it with her and explain and teach her as you go. It is a scary thing, but when done in the right way can be a great thing to teach your kids about!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Only you know what your 8 yr old's maturity level is like. Make sure you watch the documentary first to judge appropriateness. Ignorance isn't bliss, I think its great that you are wanting to educate your daughter on our nation's history.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 10:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• absolutely not. My daughter was 2 when it happened and she watched it as it unfolded and every year since she has watched something on it...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My son was 5 when it happened. Back then, people were complaining about there kids thinking it was happening over and over as they repeated the footage, however, I explained to my son and knew he had the comprehension level much higher than most, so, I let him watch as he wanted to. He is 14 and still remembers everything about it because I took time out and we watched and I explained.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No. I am going to watch it and have my almost 10 year old daughter watch it with me.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:10 AM on Sep. 11, 2010