Craigslist- Is this normal?

I posted something on Craigslist for the first time last night. This morning, I woke up to 10 messages. Awesome, right? Nope, out of the 10 messages, only one seemed legit. All the other messages were about advertising something to me or to get me to sign up for this new work at home "adventure". Is this normal? That was the first time that I have ever posted on Craigslist, so I didn't know what to expect.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:02 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, this is normal. The spam. I use a special email when I sell on Craigslist.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I've posted on there a few times and never had that. Maybe it has to do with the category you posted in? I was selling baby items and a keyboard.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• unfortunately that happens a lot lately... you can post as anonymous and just type your email into the message if you dont mind giving out your email address. I created an email account just to use for craigslist.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• yes it's normal if you list your actual email address.You can list using the sites email system.This will prevent it from happening.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 11:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thank you ladies! I will use the sites email system next time.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I used the email system and never had one spam or anything
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Ladies be very careful as Craigslist also sells porn I mean like selling women for sex. It was on the news here so I don't think I will use them.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I've gotten those too. It seems normal, unfortunately.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes, that is normal. Craigslist has a special e-mail address you can forward spam to. I did that when I got spam and they took care of it. I never got those messages again.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes, unforunately, Craigslist is not controlled as well as it should be no matter how many times you report it.
    Create an email account for this only and do not give the email online. Let them apply thru CL. Then when you get the
    messages from them. File them in spam there and forward the email to CL at the same time.
    Works everytime.
    Always protect your identity.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 1:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010