Don't know enough to say? Shouldn't you examine ALL the stats before declaring what "everyone" believes?

Funny little poll statistic that some people need to pay attention to if they're going to throw around a single poll stat from over a month ago as all-encompassing. In regards to Obama's comments on the Cordoba project being built:
From what you have heard or read, do you approve or disapprove of what President Obama said, or do you not know enough to say?

The plurality vote came in at "don't know enough to say". This was taken after the magic CNN poll about a mosque that doesn't exist. 41% aren't paying attention to it at all. So, to run around saying 70% (actually, 68%) disapprove, when a week later, 41% don't even know what the heck it is, seems a bit disingenuous.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/142202/disapprove-approve-obama-mosque-remarks.aspx

Especially considering only 5% of the population even cared about the story the week of the CNN poll.
http://people-press.org/report/644/

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Gallup poll of 8/18 (a week after the magic CNN poll): http://www.gallup.com/poll/142202/disapprove-approve-obama-mosque-remarks.aspx

Pew Research poll of 8/11 (same time as magic CNN poll): http://people-press.org/report/644/

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Isn't the entire goal to stir the pot? Everyone knows that a "poll" could mean asking just yourself- hell you'd log a 100% every time, unless you have multiple personalities- Disingenuous at best.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Polls are easily maniupulated to get the answer you want. I take note of them, but they don't guide MY opinions/decisions. I don't need a poll to tell me how I feel or how my friends/family feel. I also don't need a poll to know how the general public in my area feels on an issue. I come in contact with tons of people on a daily basis and our local paper has a very lively editorial section.

I continue to stand by my original opinion of the Mosque......yes a Mosque because there will be one there..........it is legal and it is their right......that doesn't make it a good idea.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Most everyone I have discussed it with has the same opinion as I do. It is their right to build, but don't like it and it is our right to protest it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The OP is stretching a lot.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Don't like CNN's poll? How about TIME magazine? (8/19)

"According to a new TIME poll, 61% of respondents oppose the construction of the Park51/Cordoba House project, compared with 26% who support it. More than 70% concur with the premise that proceeding with the plan would be an insult to the victims of the attacks on the World Trade Center." 

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• And here is a CBS News poll from Aug 25th!

1082 adults were polled.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You're still ignoring how few people are actually paying attention to this. 5%? 70% or 61% of 5% is still squat.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• NP--why don't you give me the definition of what a POLL is.

One could say that the opinions expressed on CafeMom amount to "5%" of moms in the US. So are all of the hours we log on this site, the passionate and detailed posts we make really only amount to "squat?" Or could one draw the conclusion that the wide range of opinions gathered from such diverse demographics of moms across the country, reveals a specific trend or overall feeling, especially when it comes to politics?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Go to Grandpa's house and ask him if two boys should get married?

He never watches the news, hasn't in 2-3 yrs. Too depressing for him.

He will tell you that 2 men getting married is crazy talk.

He hasn't been paying attention.

HE STILL HAS AN OPINION!!!!!!!!

This is too easy...............
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2010