Advice for dealing with 1 and 1/2 year old who whines constantly.

I just dont' know what to do anymore. It's like no matter what, she whines! Playing, eating, etc, it's whine whine whine. She still doesn't speak clearly but we can pick up on some of what she says but even so. I don't know if it's an attention thing or what. Help!

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 11:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most definintly an attention thing. When she starts the whining (unless she is hurt or something) I would ignore the whining and stop playing with her or whatever and when she stops praise her and pay attention to her again. That way she will start to catch on that you are only paying attention when she behaves!!
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I say teach her baby sign language it's easy and fun then she can tell you what she wants or needs with her hands till she can speak clearly. Her whining maybe just to get your attention and it may mean some thing is bothering her.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Don't react to her when she whines unless something is seriously wrong. For the first day, tell her that you aren't going to help her until she calms down. After that, just stop telling her. Let her figure it out on her own that mommy means business and mommy is IN CHARGE.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with an-apple-a-day I do that with my daughter when just starts whining out of no where i stop[ playing with her and tell her that i dont play with lil girls who whine and if she wants mommy to help she needs to calm down and use her words or show me, after a few seconds she realizes im serious i wont play with and she talks to me about what she wants. so i would try that good luck!
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I won't listen when my daughter whines. If she wants something we would do a point and try to speak game.. she felt it was fun, so would try to practice words while pointing, and it would cut back on a lot of the whining.

my dd's 2 1/2 now, and very seldom whines.. when she does I tell her flat out, I can't understand you when you whine, could you ask me nicely? Most of the time she will, if not, then it's mostly because she's overly tired and in need of a nap.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Teach her signlanguage and focus on helping her talk. They whine because they can't talk. If she wants something interrupt her whines and say "Do you want the APPLE juice then really slowly say A-ppppppple...." Then if she's not whining give it to her. I know this tactic works because my dd is 23mos. and speech delayed and also whines and her speech therapist is doing this with her.
    2girlsMom.MN

Answer by 2girlsMom.MN at 10:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010