Should we just make ALL drugs legal?

Should be just put heroin and cocaine behind the counters of drug stores, where anyone over 18 can buy them?

I posted a question about how tobacco companies get away with selling a product that is not only deadly, but is addictive. I got a lot of responses basically saying that the government should not be allowed to tell us what to put in our bodies, and to an extent, I agree. I am for the legalization of marijuana, but marijuana has been proven to actually have health benefits. However, should other drugs, such as crack and heroine, who are harmful and not at all helpful, be legal? Should we be able to go into the gas station and buy a small vial of LSD, since the government "shouldn't tell us what we can and can't buy and put into our bodies"?

I'm just curious how this works for some of you. Are you for all substances being legal?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• HELL NO. I am all for legalizing marijuana. A natural remedy that has benefits in addition to being "dangerous" (I fail to see the danger element though.)
    The difference is, meth heroine crack etc are made in chemical labs. It would be impossible to regulate as the dangers of making such useless disgusting drugs would also need to be monitored. A meth lab would NEVER be a safe place for a person to work, the drug kills people the very first time it is used and is made of other chemicals/household cleaners that would never want to be held responsible for being an "ingredient."
    Also, people who are on these drugs are DANGEROUS. Any store selling crack would be robbed like 50 times a day. These drugs alter a state of mind so severely. Do we really want our children's teachers high on crack? Looped out on heroine? Do you want to walk down the street knowing that you could encounter several drugged up meth addicts CONTD
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Hell no. That would be like telling the next generation that it's okay to ruin their lives/minds/ bodies. Why would we just throw away our childrens' futures like that?!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Regulate, sell and tax the snot out them. Just like with cigs and alcohol. People are using the drugs anyway, why not make them safer to obtain (decrease the violence associated with getting the drugs into the country) and let the US profit from the sales- Hey, there's some we can manufacture and sell.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• PS- everyone would not automatically become a drug addict- just like everyone is not an alcoholic, smoke cigs, or has a horrible diet- Sometimes, the more something is forbidden, the more people crave-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:37 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You know what. I am not a fan of drug use... My DH is a recovering Addict, and my father is no where near recovery... However, I'm a firm believe that if an adult makes the choice to put this stuff in their body, that's their choice, not mine. Frankly, they are going to do it anyway so why not at least tax the hell out of the stuff? Now, I don't like the idea of making Meth, Heroine or Crack more accessible, but I guess I have really mixed feelings because I know anyone who wants the stuff can find it regardless of it's legality... And legalizing some of this would stop illegal production, which is where a large part of the danger is... So do I really want the stuff legal? No, not particularly... On the other hand if adults choose to kill themselves and use such substances, why shouldn't our economy at least get a boost...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No, I think all drugs including cigarettes, cigars and other addictive drugs should be not available. We have enough diseases and problems in this world. We should remove those items that causes our body harm and we can control.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 11:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• and there is nowhere you can report their disgusting behavior? Nobody wants to be surrounded by meth heads, crack addicts and heroine junkies. NOBODY.
    Cigarettes kill people but do not alter their state of mind. People who smoke are (other than second hand smoke) safe to be around.
    Alcohol has proven to be beneficial to people who dont binge drink. THOSE people are safe to be around and the ones who abuse it are breaking the law by being drunk in public.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Some of those drugs have a side effect of making the user violent, and then causing them to harm others, directly, forcefully, not by accident through overuse.

So no, they shouldn't be legal.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• NO!!! Marijuana is a naturally forming herb and in fact our constitution is written on hemp paper with hemp ink. Cocaine and heroin are horrible habit forming drugs that kill!!! I was in the hospital for 5 days and they gave me Daluadid which is a form or Morphine every 4-6 hours and now I am feeling the effects of withdrawal. It is horrible and I am so glad my mom is here to help with my DD. I do not understand why anyone would want to out things like this in their bodies but the fact is they do and THAT needs to stop. Addictive drugs that kill you should NOT be legal NO MATTER WHAT!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• WOw gertie, really. can you show me some proof that it is addictive? please god show me proof. Or unhealthy for that matter. Oh you can NEVER burn them all down by the way because they are naturally growing plants in nature.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010