how to deal with being away from home for the holidays for the first time

This coming holiday season will be tough for me as it will be the first time since i was born that i will not be spending it with my mother brother and sisters(they live in Georgia and Alabama)(and im in new york) any suggestions as how to deal with it

crouchingmommy

Asked by crouchingmommy at 11:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• teach your family traditions to your family... start some new traditions of your own...
    when we can't make it home for Christmas we opened up presents over web cam so it felt like we were still together
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i dont have kids yet(we are going to ttc early next year) but i like your ideas
    crouchingmommy

Comment by crouchingmommy (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Lots of phone calls and emails.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's a challenge. My parents, my twin sister and her family, and my in-laws are all in Sweden. We do a lot by email, a little by phone, and mail packages very early!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I've done a 12 days of Christmas countdown, skyping family about the activities (shopping, baking, wrapping presents etc.) we do as we count down to the big day. That way, everyone's in the loop.
    thumbelina12

Answer by thumbelina12 at 12:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2010