Breastfeeding challenges

I'm going over to help a friend today. She was hospitalized after her son was born, and because she was being pumped full of antibiotics, she wasn't able to nurse. She still pumped, so she still has some milk, but now that she's home, it's taking her breasts awhile to catch back up. She's getting frustrated, and her husband isn't being as supportive as she needs him to be. I've promised to kick him in the butt and remind him that breastfeeding is a team effort. I've advised her to try fenugreek, oatmeal, and a little bit of hoppy beer to get her supply up, as well as nurse nurse nurse and pump pump pump. I've also told her to pump and nurse at the same time (since you get the hormone release when the baby is nursing, thus can pump more). It sounds like they're beginning to have latch issues now. I'm just trying to figure out how else I can help her get this going? I'm a lactation specialist, which is why (contd)

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 11:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lots of skin to skin with the baby! Put mom to bed w/o a shirt, baby in only a diaper and baby on mom's chest. If baby is willing to nurse a ton, skip or really limit the pumping. Use breast compression when baby nurses.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I am her go to person. I plan to praise her, and remind her husband to do so as well. Any suggestions for what else we can do? Thanks!!
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• besides helping her with latching and all the other stuff you said, just keep encouraging her :)
    way to go for being a good friend!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I know I'm going to get bashed but I'll post this anyway:
    The best advice I got when I was breastfeeding was if it was making me resent my child STOP trying to breast feed.
    I was severely depressed after the birth of my son and most of that was because of the pressure to successfully breastfeed. We had major latching problems and when my milk would let-down a wave of depression would crush me and I would cry the whole time I nursed. It was HELL. The minute I incorporated a few formula feedings I recovered from my depressed state and became a woman fit to take care of a newborn baby.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 11:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Bootsky, I've actually thought about that, too. No bashing! LOL But she DOES want to keep nursing. She nursed her first, and feels really strongly about this. But if I see her today and she's just DONE, I will tell her it's okay to FF. I know sometimes you just need someone to tell you it's okay.
    I had MAJOR challenges with nursing my son, too, and it took a good 6 weeks of him and me sobbing and spending 45 minutes getting him latched at EVERY feed, but we pushed through and it went really well after that. So it can also be worth pushing through. So we'll see where she's at. I do agree, though, that giving the OK to FF does have its place.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree! Skin to skin is great. Nipple shields work well with latch-on issues. My LS in the hospital was a great resource for me & she helped me so much!! The Medela contact nipple shields are wonderful!
    AshleighsMamma

Answer by AshleighsMamma at 2:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Skin to skin and try some baby-led breastfeeding.

Have you done any lactation training recently? They are now advocating for a more hands off approach.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• First, she should know that most antibiotics are NOT a reason to interuppt nursing. Get this girl to a LLL meeting too! The leaders, and support from other ordinary women will help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010