FURBERIZING - When?

Please only respond if you believe in Furberizing.. When can you start letting you little one cry it out? My DS is 4.5 mo old and he is horrible sleeper. We still swaddle, but he busts his hands out to suck on them, but his hands are not soothing. He has been known to scream (in the car) for +20minuntes....When can we start the process of letting him cry? (and where do I buy ear plugs lol)

madzachmom

Asked by madzachmom at 10:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• while I do not agree with all of Ferber's ideas, I do use the CIO method.

one thing you have to remember at this age- a baby has no concept of the fact that you are still there even if he can't see you.

start with 5 minutes in the crib. go rub back/pat talk to him, don't pick him up. Then 10 more minutes go back and repeat. the most I allowed screaming was 20 minutes. Ignore whimpers and little whines, only respond to those blood cuddling screams.

ear plugs are at walmart LOL ;o)
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in ferburizing but I know you are not supposed to let them cry it out for the first 6 months, but I also believe that each mother/ parent knows whats best for THIER individual child.
    Anonymous

• You can begin cry it out at 4 months, and infact it was even reccomended to me by my pediatrician. Just check on them every 20min. Pat him/her on the back and walk out. Picking him/her up will start the process over again.

Keep in mind at this age stimuli can be keeping you little one awake so mobiles and crib mirrors can be a problem for some babies.

We also used a blue light. It is soothing and more womb like.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 10:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I do not believe the first 6 months you should use the CIO method yet---I think your LO is still too young. I stopped swaddeling by the time my LO reached 1 month. Maybe he is hot. My son is a little hot box.

Tonight my son was full and he was looking at the ceiling and wanting to touch the fan etc...I put him in his crib like usual and let him cry...he does not really cry (wail) but hums and he was asleep in less than 5. I believe at 4 months we started using a fall to sleep pattern....do you have a pattern for nighttime?

My son has cried in the car and it was after a long day out in about and I fed him and he then fell asleep....
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Have you tried a pacifier? My husband and I did not want to use one, but it was the only thing we found that would soothe him. He would also wriggle his way out of ANY swaddling we did. We also tried putting our son in his crib during the day for naps before we tried the nighttime (that way he was used to it). Now our 5 month old sleeps through the night (occassionally waking up once, but we give him his pacifier and he goes right back to sleep). Good Luck.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1238816/The_best_choices_for_your_child_or_yourself

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1185658/Even_better_than_CIO

You should check out these entries.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I am not trying to be mean or say you are wrong. We tried the CIO method and it did not work for us! I read a book called The 90 Minute Sleep Method by Dr. Polly Moore. It teaches a lot about natural sleep schedules and the importance of day sleep. I found that I was trying to put my daughter down at the wrong time. By simply adjusting the time she went to sleep we eliminated any crying at bed time. All we do know is lay her down and scratch her back/sing/cuddle until she is asleep. She is 15 months.

Really I am not trying to be critical. I just HATED letting her CIO and needed an easier way to do it.

Good luck w/whatever you choose.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Never... Your baby is crying because he needs you. He may be hungry, wet, or he may just need to be held and loved. By letting him cry it out you will cause him to lose trust in your ability to care for him. It has been proven that letting your baby cry it out has lasting harmful effects.

Check out this link:

http://askdrsears.com/html/10/handout2.asp
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008