Do you let your children drink soda?? how old were they when you started giving it to them?

MamaCortney

Asked by MamaCortney at 11:47 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are only 16 months and 2.5 years. They have never had soda, and I don't plan on giving them any anytime soon. My sister has a son who is 2.5 and she's given him soda since he was about a year! ...crazy if you ask me, but to each his own. (I should add that he is significantly overweight at 46 lbs.)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't NOT allow them to have it, but I don't buy it, so they rarely get it. I would say they were around 1 1/2 or so when they tried it the first time...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• They get it periodically, special occassions, holidays. Probably around age 4-5.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i do though i wish i never did,w/my 1st ds he was about 1-2, now at 4 he had cavities, my 2nd ds he is 21months &my df gve him soda about 1 month ago, now thats all he wants whenever he sees us drink it, i dnt give in though im just thinking about his teeth,i have already told df that he will be the one to take him to the dentist bcause on his last check up he had no cavities so if he has the 2nd time around df will be the one to blame.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My children are 2 and 4. They do not get it and do not plan o letting them have it anytime soon either. Everyone is different but for me.. I just cant agree with soda what so ever..
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My kids are 3, 5 and 9 and only get soda when we go to a cookout or some family get together and we forget their drinks...even when we go out to eat they have tea or water...or McDonald's and some other places have Hi-C
    MamaCortney

Comment by MamaCortney (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My daughter is 2 years, 2 months and has never had soda. She doesn't even drink juice or lemonade. Just milk and un-fluoridated spring water.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my son has only had soda when my mom gave it to him i dont. but my lil sis and nephew started getting coke when they where about 2
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I dont really keep it in the house. But if we go out I let them have some. Usually sprite or root beer. I grew up in a house where it was completely off limits and I think that made us want it even more..So i dont not let them have it. I just remind them that it is not something to drink all the time. We are big water drinkers. I dont keep a lot of juice in the house either. So they know to either ask for milk or water. and they only get milk twice a dayish... If there is juice in the house they only get it once a day.
    i dont let my kids have juice until they are over a year old. and pop come much last..except for a sip here and there. I have a sil that let her kids drink it right out of the bottle! I about died when I saw it.
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Soda isn't forbidden but they don't drink it in the house (unless it is a big treat like last summer I bought them those 8oz cans of root beer). When we are out to eat they have the option of having soda but they usually only get 1 cup and then refill with water.
    They were about 4 when they started getting the option of soda but all had had their first glass by 2 thanks to my dad. Me and my husband drink soda all the time. The kids know they can't have any at home and just don't ask for it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010