Really? adult content

I wouldn't use a picture of the wreckage after a fatal car crash to memorialize the death of someone lost in that crash. I wouldn't use a picture of the burned remains of a house to memorialize someone who died in a fire. I absolutely wouldn't use a picture of a crime scene, complete with blood spatter, to memorialize someone who was murdered. Why the fuck are people using a pictures of a plane hitting the towers and the explosion around it to memorialize 9/11 on their FB and elsewhere?????

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you. The pictures are reminding us of how they died and that's something I don't want to see. I want to see pictures of the person and how they lived their life not how they died a horrible death.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Because those are the photos which create an emotional response.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Because thats the most penatrating! Everyone knows exactly what that is based off the picture. Now i dont agree there are plenty other pictures out there that would do it more justice for a memorial but hey thats just me
    drdavenport

Answer by drdavenport at 11:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

The only emotional response they create in me is "wow, the person who posted that is really an insensitive asshole"
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I completely agree. I was in high school on 9/11, and they were making us watch the news footage and the towers fall over and over and over that day. I got tired of it, so I walked out of class and went to sit in my next hour class (choir). The damn teacher apparently didn't see me just walk out and the school called the cops to find me (sitting in my next scheduled class) and I got ISS for it. Do you believe that?! I don't think that showing this horrific image does anything positive in the way of memorializing those who were lost.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree...what I don't understand is why everyone seems to think that they need to remind everyone around them to remember this day! I don't think we need to remind ourselves, we need to teacher our children about it! If one more person tells me to remember I may slap them! i think everyone knows where they were and what they were doing that day.
    Has our country really gotten to the point that we have to be reminded of a national tragedy?? We don't go around reminding people to remember the 4th of July or even the bombing of pearl harbor. So do they really think we will forget this??
    Ok sorry vent over!
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My picture is very tasteful.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My picture is very tasteful.

Your picture doesn't have any explosions, either. There's someone I went to school with who put up a full size pic of the towers with a gigantic fireball erupting, debris (which also means people) falling below the explosion and a huge black cloud of smoke drifting out of frame.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• IDK. Sometimes people mourn in ways that I wouldn't choose to, but who am I to say that they are doing it wrong? Just like some people choose to have an open casket at a funeral. I wouldn't choose to do that and I don't view bodies at a funeral. I don't find that it helps me let go, it just feels gruesome to me.

Personally, I don't need video footage or pictures of that day to remind me of the heartache I felt for those that perished in such a terrifying way. I don't need to be reminded to feel for the families that may or may not ever get closure. Death is a funny thing (not 'ha ha' funny) and we all deal with it in our own way.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I completely agree with you. Maybe they just didnt think their decision through and realize their picture is of people dying not planes hitting a structure...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010