were you ever offered alcohol while pregnant?

This happened to me today...and I thought it was kinda funny =]
I'm 30 weeks (31 on Saturday woohoo!) pregnant, OBVIOUSLY showing, and our waitress tonight asked if I wanted a glass of wine or a cocktail. I had to tell her that I'm A- too young (I'm 20) and B- pregnant. She got all red and embarrassed and said "Oh, well I guess I should keep my mouth shut, huh?"

So have any of you guys ever been offered alcohol or another obvious "pregnancy no-no" while you were expecting?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• no, but depending on where you were, the wait staff may be required to offer that to all guests. when I worked at benegins, we had to offer alcohol, appetizers, and desssert to every table no matter who they were (unless it was obvious they were underage)
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yeah, last time I was out to dinner a week or so ago. The waitress asked if I wanted a cocktail. I said no thanks and she said, they are really good and I recommend this one, she pointed to one. I had to tell her that I dont drink, have not in years and I am pregnant and pregnancy and cocktails dont mix...I was a little crabby that day and I think I hurt her feelings.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yea its a sales thing. If you look old enough, they have to offer, in hope that you will spend 5 dollars on one glass of wine, when they more then likely bought the whole bottle for like 7 bucks....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• The bar maks more money then the whole damn menu....
    Anonymous

• I have been to someplaces that have a policy of NOT selling alochol to pregnant women, if obvious they are pregnant. And i have been to places that are in it so deep for that extra cash that they will push a glass of wine on anyone, even they are already s**t faced drunk
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I had a friend offer me champagne!! I was like....are you serious?
    Mallycat

Answer by Mallycat at 10:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i still have a drink eveery now and then. my doctor said that it is fine. and all that i have read says one drink every once in a while wont hurt anything. if you have two or more drinks every day then you start running into problems
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 10:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Geez, relax people. A glass of wine every now and then does absolutely nothing to your baby. You know, use your common sense. Don't drink every day. Don't drink on a regular basis. But, heck, live a little. Have a glass of wine or a beer. All those babies born before 1980 turned out frickin' fine and their moms drank. It's not ALL-OR- NOTHING-- just use your noodle and don't overdo it.
    runnermom60

Answer by runnermom60 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is a disorder of permanent birth defects that occurs in the offspring of women who drink alcohol during pregnancy. It is unknown whether amount, frequency or timing of alcohol consumption during pregnancy causes a difference in degree of damage done to the fetus. Thus, the current recommendation is not to drink at all during pregnancy. Alcohol crosses the placental barrier and can stunt fetal growth or weight, create distinctive facial stigmata, damage neurons and brain structures, and cause other physical, mental, or behavioral problems.

That says enough for me right there.
    Anonymous

• Could she not tell though, if your belly was hiding under the table??
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2008