what need to be bought as far as baby cloths go

we are trying to figure out how much clothing should be bought for each age/weight size. if you could please put each item size and quantity we would be very thankful as we are going to be trying for our first baby soon

crouchingmommy

Asked by crouchingmommy at 12:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That all depends on how bit the baby is at birth, what season they are born in and how fast they grow. Every baby is different. My son was over 9lbs at birth and never fit into newborn size clothes. He came home in 0-3 month tops and 3-6 month pants and outgrew those before he was 2 months old.
    My middle daughter was still wearing 0-3 month clothes when she was 6 months old and wore preemie clothes for 2 weeks (she wasn't a preemie and was almost 7lbs at birth) and newborn clothes for like 3 months.
    Even when I was expecting our 5th I didn't buy a lot of clothes and waited until right before his due date so anything that didn't fit could be returned.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would personally wait until you are pregnant to buy stuff. Friends and family will buy you LOTS of stuff. I didn't have to buy more than a couple sleepers and some shoes for my son until he was 1 yr old!
    It also depends on how much laundry you want to do and if you get a baby that spits up a lot or not. I never had to change my son or daughter during the day. They didn't have a problem with spitting up after eating. Some babies have to be changed more often. AND if you have a big baby then you skip the smallest size completely!
    Here's a brief list anyway
    For each month you need about
    4-5 sleeper & undershirts
    3-4 shirts & pants
    3-4 socks
    Add sweaters and dresses/nice clothes as they get old enough and some shoes.
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. You might need a snowsuit too.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• *sorry, not for each month..but for each SIZE..
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• we are not buying the stuff now just trying to get an idea as what would/might be needed
    crouchingmommy

Comment by crouchingmommy (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• it depends on how fast you can wash/dry things and your weather..and if you have a baby that spits up a lot...

I like the gowns for night time sleep with the easy changes and less dressing to wake a baby who finally falls asleep only to do a big BM~(5 to 6)

I like the tee shirts verses the oneses cause diapers will most likely leak and I don't want to change every piece on the baby (8 to 10)

I go for the one piece "zoot suits" in all the sizes...preemie sizes for a baby 5 lbs and small baby and 0~3's for the first months (8 to 10)

I knit baby sweaters for each size, each season and eventually each sex~before even conceiving my first (and baby blankets when prego or while pumping breast milk).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• oh my gosh, people buy so many baby clothes for you... I haven't had to buy anything as far as clothes go... she'll never be able to wear everything we've got!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• This is what worked well for me. I went on E-bay & searched for "mixed lot infant clothes" You want to get the bigger sizes closer to when you'll need them more, since most sellers post according to seasons. Right now is a good time to look for fall/winter clothes, but I'm sure you can still find spring & summer clothes. Look for lots containing: onesies & sleepers for newborns. I bought 1 lot of clothes (60 pieces) for $25.00. It had Baby Gap, Children's Place, Old Navy, Disney, Carters etc. Many still had the tags still on them. It also included head bands, socks, shoes & hats. Many sellers will add in extras for you in appreciation of you buying from them. Don't be afraid to ask the seller questions about if there are any stains etc. if the clothes are gently used. Most sellers are up front about it.
    AshleighsMamma

Answer by AshleighsMamma at 2:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would only buy some onesies and gowns at first, and then see what size you baby is. Mine never got to wear the cute 0-3m outfits I git because they spend their time in onesies...by the time I was getting them out of the house regularly they wore much bigger sizes.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't buy too much ahead. One you dont' know how fast your baby will grow. Babies sizes are marked until 24 months by their age.. but that doesn't mean your 4 month old will fit into 3-6 month clothes..
    So you really can't "buy ahead". If you want to because you are afraid you won't have the money later.. get a gift card.
    And because you aren't sure what sizes they will need when, you aren't going to be sure what seasons to buy for. So I'd hold off.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010