Should I go back to school now or wait???

I have been a stay at home mom or 2 yrs. My son is 2 . My hubby is also deployed but have the blessing that my mom lives with us. About 2wks ago my hubby told me to get information on schools cuz when he came back he wanted me to go to school. Well I did and its been a quick process but I got accepted to start nursing school for LPN. Im undecided I want to start but at same time feel bad for leaving son. I know there is a lot of moms worse than me but its hard. I feel that if I give up opportunity will I ever have it again. My son will be with my mom. But also don't want son to feel that daddy is not hear neither is mom. Also we have no one here in case my mom has emergency. Mom don't drive. Scared that once I start won't be able to finish. Please if anyone has gone through same thing or just has some advice I would appreciate it. Thank you.

epgirl

Asked by epgirl at 12:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in

• Don;t feel bad you going to school FOR your son its always good to go back. I jsut went back a year ago and my son notices how happy and determined I am that he is getting really smart. He watches me do my school work and all that. You really should go
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Since your mother lives with you, I don't feel your son would feel abandoned. As for her not driving, perhaps some emergency arrangements could be made in case something should happen.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• School doesn't typically take up as much of your time outside the home as most think, the most time consuming part is the homework usually and you can do that at home. Nursing may be a little different, but I still think it is less time consuming than a full time job. If you have a cell phone, it will be very easy for you to leave a college class in case of emergency. Do it. You will love getting out and meeting other adults excited to learn, and most likely other moms in your situation. When I started college, my dd was two/three yrs and I met other mothers at school and we became a great network, willing to babysit if we weren't in class, etc. etc. And Nursing is a very popular study for young moms.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 12:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• go for it!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Is there anyway you can talk to your counselor about taking most or at least some of your classes online? It will cut down a lot of how long you are gone for during the day. And definitely see if you can have a back up emergency person for emergencies.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• BUT at the same time.. I'm a single mom and just finished school. I started when DD was about 20 months old, and graduated a few months ago. (It was for Cosmetology). I actually have my state board exam this monday. My mom watched my daughter while I was in school. And I went full time to get it done and over with. I did it for her, and that's what matters.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You have to feel comfortable going to school, otherwise you won't be successful. Your son is only young once, so if you have any doubts, wait until your son is a little older or when your hubby returns to the states.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• if there is an emergency you can have a cell phone with you in class... i'm sure...
    do you have to go back full time? or could you just take a class or two... easing yourself AND your son into the idea that mama is gone a few hours here and there?
    if your not comfy with the idea, then i wouldn't start, because you would be setting yourself for failure... you have to want it for you... you have to be happy, sure, and comfy with the situation...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Go! You will feel so much better about yourself! And by the time your son is around 12, and really needs you around, your career should be well established and give you the flexibility that you need.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I'd take advantage since your mom lives with you!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010