Why can't I let go of all the crap that is cluttering my home? The clothes, the paper, the junk that I can admit as junk but still not want to throw away.

I need help! I cant seem to throw stuff away. I am not like those people on the show hoarders but if I don't get this under control, I will be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Stuff keeps us stuck. If you know it needs to go maybe donating it to a battered women or homeless shelter will allow someone less fortunate then you can benefit from the things you no longer use or need. Could be a place to start anyway. Helping others always comes back to us. Let it go, you'll feel like a new person and so will the people you help. Peter Walsh has a great website and books that will help you with the process. It's so worth it, your worth it.
    Start with three catagories, keep-donate-trash. If you have to think about an item for for then a moment it goes. Keep what you love and use everday. Make room in your life for something new. I know someone who lost weight as she de-cluttered her home and office. What are you weighting for?
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 2:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I find myself in the same situation a lot of the time. Especially with books or papers. I'm an on again off again fly baby, and when I remember to stick with it does help. There is only so much room in my house, so I have to get control of these things. Can you choose 5 things per day (or week if that's easier) to bless someone else with? Say, the dress you bought 5 years ago but have never worn? Or the novel you bought but never got past the first chapter because it didnt hold your interest? Fly Lady does a 23 fling boogie. Its a game where you go around and you throw away 23 things (or whatever number you are comfortable with). Then you can turn around and do a boogie finding 23 things to give away. Hope this helps.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You have an emotional attachment to inadimant objects, based on your past experiences with those objects. It's that emotional attachment that makes it difficult to throw the items out. For example, many people have attachments to a favorite childhood toy. But others begin to feel an attachment to almost everything in their home, even if it has no meaning and even if it is unsafe or has no value. If that has happened to you, I'm afraid you might need to seek counseling. Don't let "things" ruin your life. Find happiness and security in real things like love and people. If you haven't used something in over a year and can't see a use for it in the future, give it away to an agency that helps others like Goodwill or Salvation Army. You can find comfort knowing someone else is going to get a lot of use out of it and it will create jobs. Take pictures of your items and your family for memories sake! God bless and GL!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You will be amazed how free you feel when you do get rid of some of these things and get your house in order. Enlist a good friend to help you make realistic choices. Ask yourself if you have used/worn something in the last year, if not then get rid of it. Cherish the things you do keep, and go easy on yourself. Donate to those in need. -reformed clutterbug
    babywhatnow

Answer by babywhatnow at 1:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010