Have you gained weight since being a sahm?

Ever since I had my child,I notice my hips are wider,could this add to the extra weight.I haven't had the money to eat right and to exercise but I exercise and eat right when I can most times, so I can't blame it all,on being a sahm.But, I know it's harder to motivate yourself to work out.This is for people who don't have alot of money,can't afford to go to the gym,nearing the age of 40.Because younger moms will naturally be able to burn off more calories.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 10:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't agree with the "younger mom" comment i am a SAHM and i have had a lot of toruble losing my baby weight from both my children, i don't "naturally burn more calories" i have to work very hard at my weight loss, every woman is different young or old.
    Anonymous

• btw i forgot to mention i am 25.
    Anonymous

• lol i dont agree with younger mom either...im 24...i was actually working full time but stopped in the beg. of june..and wow i definitely have gained a couple pounds! and all i do is chase around the little one all day!!!!
    ava8107

Answer by ava8107 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• OHHH!! YES!! I have been a sahm now for 6 yrs and have gained 45 lbs.! 25 in the first yr! I am 39 and I worry about what is down the road for me. I don't have money for anything, even good shoes to walk in!! Forget eating right! how can a person stay out of the kitchen when it's there 24/7! I don't have money for the snack section at the store, heck 3.79 for a bag of chips??? that's the same as a gallon of milk! milk is more important! my downfall is I like to bake and eat what i bake...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I used to be 180 pnds. and that was fat for me.This was before I had a kid.Now,I'm 266 and have high blood pressure.I know the laid back lifestyle is killing me.I have to exercise everyday.I don't eat crap,fast food and alot of sweets.I eat good food,so I'm confused why I'm so big.I do take a prescription drug to help me sleep but it's a low dose.I know if I was waking up everyday to go to work I would loosse weight.I don't mean to pick on the youngin's and I agree it depends on the person.I used to eat and not really get fat and this was in my 20's.But ,you guys are alot more elastic and flexable,which can make you burn calories faster,in my case it was true.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The reason for this post,is to see if others have had the same reaction to weight gain from sah as me.My husband is very unsupportive of me,he doesn't understand how sah can make you fat,so I could use all the support I can get..
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• First, the men JUST DON"T GET IT. I don't think my DH ever will. He tells me that he would trade me any day of the week....NO WAY he wouldn't last 2 hours doing the job that us SAHM's do!
    I noticed myself gaining weight and this is what I have done.

1. Give yourself credit. You did have a baby and if you're breastfeeding it takes that much longer for your hormones to settle down. It took me a good 6 months after breast feeding to retrain myself to not eat every 3-4 hours.

2. Don't buy junk food at the store. If you don't have it....you won't eat it. I make a list of the meals and snacks we will eat for the week and stick to my list at the store. This way I know exactly what we will eat for Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner and that helps me plan a good diet and stick to it.

KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• cont...

Your hips are bigger because you had a baby...your hips have to widen to get the baby out. If you can remember at the end of your pregnancy you probably felt pains in your hips and legs. That was your hips spreading.

Don't pay attention to your unsupportive husband...I'm sure you are the only one that gets up with your kids in the middle of the night and that can mess with your body as well.

It will all even out. Keep your chin up and enjoy your little one/s!!
    Good Luck
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No. I had the opposite problem. I lost a bunch of weight. I never have time to eat and rarely feel like eating much. Trying to chase around a baby and keep the house in order is a lot of work - leaving me with little energy or desire to exercise. I'm the thinnest I've ever been, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• As a SAHM i always get out of the house everyday...not only is it important for my son to get at least an hours sunlight but i would go stir crazy staying in all the time. Think thats probably helped majorly get me back to my normal weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2008