Why gods?

Why do you believe in multiple gods ... is one not powerful enough to do everything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There is only one God. You can believe in Mythology or multiple Gods, but it just doesn't make them real. Still, everyone has the right and God gives us "free will" to choose what we want to do in this life. However, he warns us to not put any other Gods before him. It is important not to forget what is real, because God loves us and can bring us peace in this world where other things do not have that power. The Bible is powerful and God-given. Pray for understanding and emerse yourself in His word and let Him talk to you personally. He will make Himself known to you if you continue to seek Him! God bless and GL! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't, of course, but I do prefer goddesses over gods. At least the goddess isn't trying to rob you of your mind and subjugate you to idiot males. And when you're having a pms moment she isn't jumping up and down screaming about you being "unclean". She's just nodding her head knowingly.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Because I don't believe the idea of one God makes any sense. And because I don't believe God to be an all powerful entity... I see the Gods as a community of "higher beings" rather than a single all powerful non-questionable deity - because to me that's simply what makes sense... And because that's what I have seen proof of, just like mono-theists follow one God because that's what they see proof in... I also see the idea of One Single God as a newer notion (in comparison to the history of religion) and simply see more truth in older beliefs rather than those which have yet to be proven to have stay power...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• is one not powerful enough to do everything?

No. Why is there more than one god in your bible and the need to instruct people to not put any others before the main one? Isn't he powerful enough to make that a given without having to tell people not to do it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I find it odd so many get upset and say their religion is bashed because people classify it as mythology, but have no issues telling all the pagans that their gods are stone and not real. Just saying.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I dont believe in any gods.

For the same reason MULTIPLE gods dont make sense to you... one "almighty" makes no sense to me.

It's all just mythology.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Actually, God in the bible comes accross as more than one, really...there is the all-loving/forgiving/nice God and then there is the flip side wrathful/vengeful/judge God. Also angels, the Elohim, demons, etc....are all otherworldly things depicted in the Bible....how God was depicted seems to depend on who was authoring the book!

As for myself, I don't think it matters one way or the other. Walk your talk, practice what you preach...these things will make a difference on this Earth, regardless of who or what is overseeing things. Historically, multiple Gods/Goddesses are a much older and more common belief system. Singular "all-powerful" God(s) seem to spring up when the GOV't of the time needed to rally the masses together...more of a polictical manipulation of existing beliefs than anything. Ever see Zeitgeist???
    Sarafina542

Answer by Sarafina542 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

And then there's that whole Trinity mess. Some believe it's a different aspect of one, but others believe in 3 separate entities.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No...he needs his Wife's help.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If you are educated in the bible, you would know that at the time the Isrealites were worshipping the golden calf, a make believe idol. My children know this story because I am educating them.

And in all that educating, have you taught them about what the golden calf really was, or only what the bible tells you it was. For that matter, are you teaching them that Baal is a demon,or are you teaching them the truth, that Baal is a title, much like Lord, and can apply to more than one entity?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010