6 month old who doesn't sleep thru the night any suggestion?

lwattar

Asked by lwattar at 12:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my babies slept through the night by 3-4 months. Routine is key to babies because they come to expect sleep at the end of the routine. For awhile I was giving them baths after dinner (because my oldest 21 month old gets really messy), but I noticed that at this time (around 7pm) my youngest (3 months at the time) would konk out after the bath and being fed. Then when it was time for us to go to sleep she was awake and ready to play! lol By switching bathtime to 10:00 pm and then bottle for Devin and nursing for youngest, they both expect bedtime right after and sleep a good 7-8 hours each night. Make sure they are given bottle/nursed right after pajamas after bath. Also, make sure you have a good diaper on your baby, because they will obviously wake up when wet. If your baby is wearing a size 4 diaper, make sure you buy and put on size 5 at night. If she wears size 5 during the day, put on size 6 at night, etc. GL!
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Stop listening to people that say their kids slept through the night when they first came home from the hospital. I know of maybe one child that will sleep though the night. My son is 27 months and still doesn't some nights.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My little girl never slept thru the night! She is 2 now and still has trouble sleeping at night. I wish you luck hopefully you can find a way.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Hang in there it is still very early for most children to be sleeping through the night. One must remember sleep is a developmental stage reached in each child's own time.  Comparing yours to others will do nothing but frustrate you.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 12:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It is still too early to expect her to sleep through the night. She is still a baby and she still needs stuff even at night. Parenting doesn't end at sundown. Just keep up a routine and when she is ready to sleep through the night she will. It took TWO of my kids until they were 2 yrs old.. My middle child took about 10 months. It depends on the child.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It seems like the parents whose children did not sleep through the night always say that it's too early... Our son sleeps through the night (he awakens once now that he has began teething but we just soothe him back to sleep). We have a routine and make sure that he gets 3 1-2 hour naps a day so that he is not over tired at night. I think routine (not schedule) is key. Good luck!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 1:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Even on a strict Routine my daughter didnt sleep through the night until she was almost 2 and she still sometimes wakes up.
    All children are different. So people are lying when they say you need a strict routine to make them sleep all night..thats not the truth...every child is different! Good luck!

Maybe shes crying because she knows you will get up with her? try just letting her cry it out for a few min.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 1:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Try everything you can think of....For us, that was swaddling or letting baby sleep in a swing for 30 minutes and then moving to crib, sometimes it meant sleeping in a onesie, others in nothing but a diaper...others it meant sleeping in footed pj's and a hat. Sometimes it meant faliing asleep to music and when that shut off having a little fan for continued white noise. Sometimes it meant being okay with a pacifier. Sometimes it meant as long as she was changed and fed, letting her cry for 5 minutes and then going in and holding her and singing to her. Sometimes it meant applying diaper cream to red irritated areas. Sometimes it meant leaving her in her crib but putting the pacifier back in her mouth 10 times a night.

The only question I have for YOU is: What do you consider to be sleeping through the night. In other words, what is your goal?
    CAMKsMom

Answer by CAMKsMom at 1:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010