• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone taken anxiety medication (ex. xanax) while they were pregnant?

OK FIRST I know what all the things on the web say about benzos &pregnancy...HOWEVER I have a severe anxiety disorder and xanax has given me my mind back. I just found out I am pregnant with my 2nd child and I am trying to wean off the 3.5mg of xanax I take a day!Yesterday I only took 2mg and it was a rough day!To top it off I am quitting smoking cigs at the same time.I feel horrible that I am being short tempered with my 2yr old and my husband!I am also worried about the effects of my anxiety attacks on the baby!I feel like I am having a heart attack and I know this is serious stress on the baby!Everything I have read there has only been birth defects from mothers taking more than 4mg a day.I am NOT trying to justify anything, I really just need someone who has experienced this to offer some REAL life experience PLEASE?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• A girl I worked with took 3mg a day her entire pregnancy. i am completely against it, HOWEVER. Her dr told her that the baby would be born with withdrawals and she would need to breastfeed so the baby could get the xanax thru breastmilk. Don't know about birth defects, she was induced last night at 5pm.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i know that this will sound cruel, but why are you getting pregnant if you cannot for your mental health quit the drugs you have to take that you KNOW are going to be potentially harmful to this person inside you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I have been on xanax for years. When I found out I was going to have a baby I stopped cold turkey. You should talk to your doctor about this. This drug is very very unsafe for you now~! Thank about your baby instead of yourself. You think you have problems now.... Meaning if some thing happens to your baby while on your meds things will be worse. You just need to relax and take it day by day and drink alot water and walk daily.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Im not trying to scare you, but your baby will have MORE than withdrawls from xanax, theres alot of pills you cannot take while pregnant, and XANAX is by far the worst. Were talk physical and mental disabilites.
    mommy2be326

Answer by mommy2be326 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• First off, Xanax is not even close to the worst drug you can take while pregnant, Accutane is. Xanax is a pregnancy FDA rated class D drug which means that it may cause birth defects but the benefits of the drug may outweigh the minimal risk involved. Benzo's have never proven to cause birth defects in humans or rabbits, only in rats.

I am not saying that it is alright to take benzo's during pregnancy. I also suffer from a moderate anxiety disorder and my doctor increased my zoloft and asked me to refrain from my clonazepam (a benzo) if I can.

I have not taken any clonazepam and I will refuse to because I don't want to take the chance, but that is me. I can manage my anxiety without it. Anxiety disorders are different from person to person.

I really think that you should at least call your nurse and discuss these things with him or her. They will give you guidance and suggestions without being judgemental.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Why not try visiting a Homeopathic or Naturopathic doctor they have remedies that are reasonable and work. I did this when I became premenapausal and was stressing out big time. My doctor tested me found out I was hypothyroid which I suspected and low on progesterone and they gave me a remedy called Calc Carb. Worked great and I only ask for it when things get too stressfull so I'm not using it even all the time. These remedies are long lasting and effective. Eileen
    EileenMarie

Answer by EileenMarie at 1:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I took zoloft and my baby was fine. Personally wouldn't take xanax
    motherdearest

Answer by motherdearest at 2:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i was prescribed zoloft while pregnant..........spoke with OB about Clonazepam and said everything in moderation is okay....okay to take as needed.....not daily.........if your dr says its okay then don't listen to anyone on here who doesn't know what you are feeling....Extreme anxiety and stress are worse for your unborn child than antianxiety meds..........take care of yourself first.......
    Avaglamour

Answer by Avaglamour at 10:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2009