"Message to parents getting louder: No screaming babies allowed!"

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/message-to-parents-getting-louder-no-screaming-babies-allowed-2388887/

"In the latest burst of anti-kids-in-public news, a North Carolina restaurant is making headlines with signage that does not quibble. “Screaming Children Will NOT Be Tolerated!” read signs at the the Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach, N.C. And while some parents have expressed concern that they are singling out disabled kids, most patrons have responded well."

Does this have lawsuit written all over it? If this restaurant is singling out "disabled kids," then who's next? Did anyone learn from our black/white past? What's the difference between this (which might as well say no disabled children allowed) and the "no blacks" signs of the 50's?

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 1:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Clickable here.  ;-)

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Because all the other questions already up about this weren't enough. This isn't about bad kids - it's about bad parents. Nobody cares if your kid starts to scream - they care if you're too damn self-centered and lazy to take them outside and calm them down. The sign is for the parents.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Of course there are going to be lawsuits, people are friggen idots. I have NO problem with the signs. They wouldn't be up if there wasn't a ton of complaints
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I commented on this last night when it was posted... But I'll paraphrase here... I think this is AWESOME! I worked in a restaurant and you would be SHOCKED how many parents let their kids jump on the tables, run around acting crazy, screaming and fighting... Not only does it threaten their safety (nothing is worse than a child knocking the coffee off a server's tray) but it ruins the experience of those around them. As a restaurant owner your job is to till the needs of the majority of your customers, not ONE... It's sad that someone finds the need to post something like this, but it's NOT discrimination! They aren't saying NO CHILDREN, they are simply stating that if you refuse to control your child you aren't welcome... As a business owner they have that right, and frankly, I would prefer to eat at a restaurant where I know I can enjoy my meal than at one where there are screaming children...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think you comparing this to the Black segrigation in the early 1900s is just a bunch of crap. How can you even compare this to that? I have been in resturants with Disabled children Mostly mental handicapped who have reuined it for almost everyone at the resturant Just as much as spoiled little kids do who dont get what they want.. Everyone is just to scared to say something about it and let it happen over and over. While this restuarnt can continue to lose business because of bad experiances like this that are not the resturants fault.

No wheres in this sign does it say HANDICAPPED CHILDREN WILL NOT BE TOLERATED...There for saying that this business is segrigating agaist handicapped is false and a poor excuse...
    They are NOT singling out handicapped children
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 1:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• People talk really loud and yell in places all of the time but there's not a sign for them. I always take my child out of a restaurant when he is throwing a tantrum. There is NO need for an anti-child sign.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• ummm. why is that a problem? i can see if a child is disables in certain cases this should be ignored but what do you think of going to a nice resouraunt and having to listen to some brat throw a fit because mommy said no ice cream? i for one hate it. and for me its as simple as a talk with my kids explaining the behavior i expect in this particular place and a firm consequense if their behavior is not to my standard and they are perfect!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• "Because all the other questions already up about this weren't enough."------ Wow.... I guess we are expected to scroll through all of the questions already posted on cafemom before posting one.
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I guess we are expected to scroll through all of the questions already posted on cafemom before posting one.

Actually OP, there isn't really a reason you can't run a search for repeat questions before you post... Many of us do. It's not hard!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• "Actually OP, there isn't really a reason you can't run a search for repeat questions before you post... Many of us do. It's not hard!"

Here we go! LOL
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2010