At what age do babies normally start to crawl?

JessicaF1120

Asked by JessicaF1120 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The range for babies crawling is very broad. It can range from 6-11 months, and some babies don't do a traditional crawl. Some squirm like frogs, some do an army like crawl. I have two kids, one crawled at 7 months, the other at 10 months. I am also a nurse who works with babies all the time. There is no magic age.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My Lo is 7 and half months and started crawling about 3 weeks ago, scooting before that. But every baby is different, some babies skip crawling all together!! my babies cousin who is a week older doesnt even try to crawl.. so it just depends!!
    Anonymous

• thank you ..i wa just wondering b/c my 5 1/2 month old looks like she is trying but just can't get her arms and legs in coordination with each other.
    JessicaF1120

Answer by JessicaF1120 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It is all different. I would say watch out at 5 months. That is when mine started, and he was early, but your little one could go straight to walking or just use the army crawl.

Mine went from rolling and barely holding his head up to crawling.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 10:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• The general age is around 6 months, but every child is different, and as the PP stated, some children skip crawling all together. You can help them learn by gently holding their trunk (ribcage/waist) to support some of her weight which will make it easier for her to move her arms and legs. As she becomes better, you give less support allowing her to take more of her body weight until she has it down pat.....enjoy and good luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• The average runs anywhere from 6-10 months. My daughter was doing the army crawl at around 5 months. She is 8 now, but still doesn't crawl. She will roll FAST and anywhere she needs to be and she will scoot on her booty if sitting.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Some babies NEVER crawl. My son is 8 months old and doesn't even care to try. He rolls everywhere but will walk if he can hold on to something. It's weird how different they can be from each other!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• After saying that every baby is different, most docs say do not worry if your child is still not crawling up until about 10-12 months. My slick 8 month old started pulling himself along at 4 months a pro at crawling by 5 months. But I would not worry, the average is around 6 months.
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son started crawling at about 7months maybe a little before that. All babies are different though. My friends baby didn't start until like 9 or 10 months.
    princessamber5

Answer by princessamber5 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2008