Probibly a dumb question but... How do I know when to register my son for Kindergarden?

My son is only 4, he will be 5 in May, so he should start Kindergarten next fall. Here's the thing though, we couldn't get him in to Pre-School because by the time we figured out who to contact and get him registered we were to late and told we have to wait til next year... So how do we know when it's time? And how do we know who to contact?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You could easily start now. Find out what school district you are in, and contact the elementary school. They will tell you what to do. You can find out the school district by contacting your local municipal office.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Can you just call ur local elementary school? they should be able to tell you.
    Pre school is on a first come fist serve basis, kindergarden shouldnt be.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 1:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Registration usually during the Summer before your child would start. I would wait and call your local Elementary School near the end of this year. They'll be able to give you that information.
    alexsmomaubrys2

Answer by alexsmomaubrys2 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Most school districts have websites and have that information on them, along with timelines when you should do what. Otherwise, call the Superintendant's office of your school district for this information.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I know what school district... Its the same one I went to. I just didn't know how to know when registration was... I know you have to have it done by a certain day or they have to wait... And I know that's not til summer, but I don't want to miss it again!

Thanks I'll contact the school & see what they say.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would call the Board of Education for you school district.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You need to call the school. Ours is after Christmas break. They post it in the paper and on local news, nyou go find out what info. you need and shots your child might need. You get everything together/done and go on your registration day. Usually last names A-M one day and N-Z another.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 1:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Call the school. Our Kindergarten registration starts in April for the next fall. But you can register anytime - up to and after school starts, but of course earlier is better. It helps the school know for staffing and funding and it always helps you child to know a little in advance where they will be going, who their teacher will be, etc. Especially for Kindergarten when it's all so new for them.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• call the school and ask.... honestly it may be summer or reg. may open in May or een earlier.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Call the school and ask. They will be able to tell you what the cutoff days are and when to come in for evaluation and to turn in information.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010