Do you allow your child to eat candy?

If you do what is the candy?
How often do they get to eat it?
If not what tasty treat do you allow them to have in place of candy?
Do you tell them that the tasty treat is candy?

Do you think giving candy to them is a way to "shut them up"?
Are they addicted to candy?

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Haha....Uh...What? This question sounds almost like you are either A.) Mad because someone accused you of trying to shut your children up with candy, or B.) You think that people use candy to shut there kids up....

I have two daughters ages 3 and 5. I do give them candy. Do I give them bags full? Of course not. lol. That would be crazy! I give them candy, cookies, cake, pie, ice cream- all in moderation. For example I may get them a bag of M&Ms at the checkout for being well behaved at the grocery store, and I split that bag between the two of them. They get maybe a half of cup serving of ice cream. Two oreos is a good little dessert with some milk. I always have my children eat both fruits and veggies, as well accurate servings of proteins for them. Both of my children are healthy and are not "addicted" to anything. lol. And.....I would never encourage my children to "shut up". They are kids. They get loud, its normal. :)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My kids only get candy about 3 times a years and they get whatever kind they like.
    I will not give me kids candy just to shut them up. I do let them know that its bad for them and that why they dont get alot of it. I only get candy when im on my pms. BC candys is BAD for you.
    sguy1983

Answer by sguy1983 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• one piece of very dark chocolate or something good that I baked (whole grain cookies, etc.) every day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Once in a while. They might get it once or twice a month as a reward!
    gypsy_rose

Answer by gypsy_rose at 1:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My kids are 14, 12 and 4 and yes they are allowed to have candy (not daily but once in a while) it is portioned out to them and the rest is put up for another day.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• rarely. she adores lolipops, so she gets them on special occasions. I'd rather she ate baked goods, they're better for her teeth.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My 4 yr old loves "smooth chocolate" (a.k.a. - plain milk chocolate or M&Ms). We are total bribers (for things like trying new foods, trying a new activity, etc...) =P We don't believe if forcing kids to eat at the dinner table, but we will offer an M&M or two for them to try a new food. More often than not they find they love the new food, and we have added another food to their menu. :) We DO NOT give them candy to shut them up or stop bad behavior. My kiddos eat a wide variety of foods (broccoli, asperagus, brie, duck,cuscus, etc...) so I have no problem giving them chocolate from time to time. Plus they are both rather thin, so the calories are not a problem either. We DO NO ever give them sticky chewy candy sicne its the absolute wrose thing their teeth. In fact they have never even had it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Sure! But they're married and all. When they come here they find candy & enjoy. Then blame me..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• everybudys opinion is different so here is mine, i have a 20month old daughter that i hardly ever give her the real candy i usually buy her like gummybears but the little graduate one from gerber. there is times i will give her a piece of candy but thats only if i eat it an thats rare cus im a diabetic so when i do eat one i will let her taste it but after her tasting it shes not addicted to it in anyway, i just try to not give it to her on a daily basis or anything like that so giving ur kid a taste every once in awhile is not going to get them addicted or hurt them in anyway..hope that helps u
    babykathy09

Answer by babykathy09 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• candy is a sometimes thing but i bake homemade treats once or twice a week.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010