How do you know when to keep your mouth shut?

How is it that there are people who dont know how to keep their mouths shut?
When do you think it is a right to give an opinion or just turn away?
How come when you need someone to be there, there is no one?
How is it that they can show up when you dont need them and have them judge you and talk down at you when they have not even made an attempt to help you when you needed it?
Sorry I am venting and you dont really have to answer me lol not unless you have a way to shut them up lol :)

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Sometimes you have to use your common sense. If you can't say something back to someone without making them mad, or hurt their feelings, I would keep my mouth shut. Sometimes there are some things that are better left unsaid.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Some people & relationships are just poison in our lives and we need to let them go. Sometimes it's easy, we just drift apart, but sometimes it is hard & we have to make a conscious decision to end a relationship. If this person adds nothing positive to your life, maybe it is time to let them go? If it is a family member, can you limit contact?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• R we talking about friends family who????
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Honestly, if they aren't going to support me the way I support them, I limit contact with them, regardless of who they are. You can't pick your family, but you can minimize their impact on your life. You can absolutely choose your friends - and those that don't make your life better in some way shouldn't be your friend.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Everyone lol I am mostly referring to family though. Also my friends but mostly my family :)
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• sorry dont know what to say but heres a bump!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If it's family, they will always talk down and judge you because of their own insecurities. It WILL NOT get better untill you tell them what you think and voice YOUR own opinion. Evidently the family feels threatened by you in some way and this is their way of trying to bring you to their level, BUT never let that happen or you will always be treated that way and will never get the respect you need/deserve.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 2:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• When you can't say anything NICE!
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 2:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Usually its best to just punch them in the face....Well get yourself up a good daydream that you just rocked that face of theres all over with a fury fist! ....lol.... but then shake yourself out of the daydream, and do your best to stay the upper hand by not letting them talk down to you while still keeping calm waters. Sometimes its just better to let the small stuff roll off your shoulders. But never let anyone talk down to you in regards to your opinion, or your mothering skills! I was told a long time ago by my mother before i was married to "pick my battles" in regards to my inlaws. They drive me crazy! But in all honesty, I have confronted them before over small issues only to be blindsided by a much larger issue that they "assumed" I would bend on since I told them no the last time. Its best sometimes to just let them be who they are because that shows you who they really are. Sorry, hope things get better for you! G/L
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You politely tell them that you prefer they and either a) help the situation, followed with the specific type of help you need or b) keep their opinions to themselves.
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 2:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010