Would you be willing to work with Xray machines while pregnant?

My job right now is X-raying circuit boards to check for solder defects. I love my job, but I really want another baby. Our machines have NEVER had any radiation readings, but the chance is still there. We wear dosimeters that measure radiation levels, but they are only checked once every 3 months. I found one online that beeps right away if any radiation is present, and would buy that and wear all the time.

So, would YOU be willing to do this job while pregnant???

MommaRoxanne

Asked by MommaRoxanne at 1:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is there a way you could wear protective gear when working? I knew a dental hygenist that would put on a lead apron every time she took films when she was pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would have to wear one for 8 hours straight, so that is not an option. Those vests are VERY heavy, and my desk sits right next to the machine.
    MommaRoxanne

Comment by MommaRoxanne (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I used to do xrays. I have five kids and did xrays with all of them. I also wore a dosimeter, but it was monitored monthly. If any xray required actually being beyond the protective lead wall I didn't do them, even though we had lead gowns.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 2:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• no, the machine is fully enclosed in lead walls. There is a very small opening where I insert the boards, but there is an inner lead door that closes to block the xrays when the outer door opens to put the board in :)
    MommaRoxanne

Comment by MommaRoxanne (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would wear the vest so you can protect your unborn. I rather have extra weight then risk chancing something happening to my baby
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You would be the best judge of that. Do other Pregnant women work doing that? What about the lead exposure on the circuit boards? Are you touching them with bare hands or breathing it in?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would talk to your boss about it to see what is safest. You may actually have restrictions by osha for that. When I was pregnant with my DD I couldn't work as a printer because the chemicals I needed to work with are known to cause birth defects. Even if I wore protective gear it still could have been an issue.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010