How Do I get My 8 year old to PAY Attention?

My 8 year old is making school so hard... FOR ME. He has all this extra school work because he won’t focus at school. last years A's B's and a C, (and I harped on the C ). The last progress repot was D, D, D, C, C (what the!). As you can see i am very upset and tired, he forgets thing, don't try, don't turn things in. Or moves sooo s-l-o-w. He says that the 3erd grade is hard, But that child says everything is hard. I have talked to him, reasoned with him and punished him, we have taken everything from him gave it back and retook it. What am I doing wrong, and how can I help him?

sdgd21

Asked by sdgd21 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OMG I CAN TOTALLY REL8 bc our 10 yr. old son is going thru the exact same thing, (r u sure they're not rel8d lol). I've been told by his behavioral counselor (he has ADHD & ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) that consistency IS THE KEY as well as 2 keep encouraging him. 4 us, it also helped when we stopped harping on him about poor grades all the x & focused more on the good 1s & rewarding him 4 them bc IMO it's equally important. And, if we ea. find something that works, let's share it w/ ea. other PLEASE lol
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think it's just going to take patience. It's still early in the school year. Maybe you could make an appointment with his teacher to discuss his progress report and maybe she'll have some input. The more you get upset with him the more he'll resist. I know it's frustrating, but try not to let him see that your aggravated. I have a son who was always so slow about doing his work...drove me crazy. His kindergarden teacher nick named him Pokey....that name sure did fit him all the way through school!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Let's see, how about taking privileges away i.e., no t.v. no gameboy, no anything until homework is done. It needn't be that difficult to do homework. My 1st grader finished all of the homework given in less than two hours. And I didn't even have to remind or help. Granted, 1st grade is not 3rd grade, but hey, its not that far off. What's a typical page of homework for him?
    Donna1

Answer by Donna1 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• & 2 anon942, where did u find these articles. I'd like 2 check them out.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I stay on my 8yo CONSTANTLY. I make sure his teachers are making him accountable for his choices. We make it part of our daily routine. During dinner I will ask him to spell his spelling words, or to demonstrate something he's been working on during the week at school.

We do homework as soon as he gets home, and until it is done there is no snack, no video games, no toys, no going outdoors - no dinner if it gets to that point, and I will e-mail his teachers and ask to have him stay in for recess to complete the work on his time if he wont cooperate, although we've never had to go that far.

For writing assignments I've actually done the same work as him eg. they had to copy a letter to work on memorizing letter writing formats. He has to sit till it's done. Regardless of 'want to' or misbehavior. No giving in. You give in once you can plan on getting push back every time.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• well there are BIG changes in the 3rd grade! This is the year he is tested for national stats, and in some states, these numbers may mean whether they are promoted or not. So the material may be harder or more intense.

Have other parents seen a change in their children? Are you able to go and observe for a few hours. If he is struggling and isn't responding well with you with homework, does the school provde afterschool tutoring/care? If he had the grades earlier, the potential is there, just re-ignite the spark. good luck
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 3:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2008