Is it normal to be parinoid that your child could be overwieght?

I don't restrict my children's diet by any means. However I have a great fear that my child(ren) could grow to be over weight. I don't know if this is a common fear or if it is my anxiety..... Do you have this fear? Why or why not?

I feed my children when they are hungry but I feed them in moderation. I am also a big fan of feeding them home cooked meals that are not fatty.... I don't know I am freaking out lately cause I have a fear that they will be fat when they get older.... I mean when they start to get older like around 10 I think that if I notice that they are getting "fatter" I will put them on a diet is that wrong of me?

Please tell me if this is a common fear or not.... ugg I am going out of my mind about it.

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• its a good thing to be cautious, dont be overbearing on your kids though, i dont think this is something i have to worry about as my kids are built like me.....im pretty small and have only gained weight during pregnancies. but my best friends daughter is pretty overweight. shes 8 and weighs 95lbs...my 8 year old weighs only 59lbs and is right where she should be. but my friend is a bit much on her daughter, tells her she need to diet and such but i disagree with that because her daughter will flat out say "im fat" or "im trying to lose weight" i think you can put your children on a diet without them neccessarly knowing. i mean you cook for them right? just be cautious that you dont put strain on their self esteem if you need to help them lose weight. just teach them how to eat healthy and how tomake good choices.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• well I think in this country it is a legitimate concers, however just encourage good nutrition, talk about trans fats vs saturated fats, sugar moderation, things like that, so that when they are old enough to make their own decisions they'll make good ones, also starting now with active lifestyles, encouraging sports or just active family activites will help. Ultimately don't make it a huge deal, just a way of life...and breathe mama :) you can worry about them being overweight when it happens (also keep in mind that around 10 they will put on some weight before shooting up and filling out with puberty)
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have the same fear with my children. My husband and I are both over-weight. I guess thats where my fear comes from. I dont want my kids to have the same problems I had, ya know? I am very anal about home-cooked meals, but we do eat out once a week. My kids love to eat, so I am all about giving them healthy stuff whenever possible. My 6 year old weighs 49 pounds, and my 2.5 year old weighs 26 pounds, so they are healthy and happy. Hopefully it stays that way :)

I dont know if I would put them on a "diet" per say, but if I noticed them gaining a lot of weight, I would stop buying the treats that they like to eat (such as fishes, cookies... junky stuff like that they they dont need!) and really push fruit and things like that!

MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't freak out on them... if you restrict food that could backfire on you- I knew kids that would sneak food because their parents freaked out too much about it... they were overweight because of it.
    just feed your kids healthy food and make sure that they play outside and they'll be fine.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No. It's not normal because if you continue to be afraid of them getting fat they will have eating disorders as they get older. They could become bolemic or annorexic. So don't freak out or else they will.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• In this day and age i think it is a rational/normal fear but hear is the thing our food i s pumped with growth horomones to make it grow faster and those horomones get in the food and that is what plumps up the kids so does the fact that they longer want to play outside but explain how a kid can be plump eat healthy and the parents are skinnny. To much food loaded with horomones if you ask me
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Well, I don't know how common this fear is, but with all the garbage in many foods today, there is nothing wrong with being paranoid. I make everything from scratch too and we buy mostly organic. It's better to be overcautious than to be careless. You develop the number of fat cells you will have your whole life by around puberty. So if your child is overweight at a young age, they will have that many fat cells forever.....you can't lose them, they can decrease in size however. An overweight child is being set up for a life of weight struggles.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My mom had that fear and she did nothing to get it under control she would hear wow your daughter is so fat this would lead to days without food when I came out of my room and I was down the five or ten pounds I could have food again. Maybe its good your asking and understanding it. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Definately, especially if you or your dh is. Prepackaged food has additives that are addictive, so keep cooking from scratch. And keep monitoring their intake and weight.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I am not overweight my husband is not either. There are people in our family's though that are. Like by a lot, sorry my anxiety has increased since I had my last child. There are a lot of things adding up that are making it worse but I am really loosing it really really. I wonder if the new medication that they put me on for PPD may be contributing to it as well... I am liking all the answers so far though thanks you are being a good help. I just need to be reassured that there is a chance that, that wont happen lol and so far you are helping me with it and letting me know I am not being a bad mother for thinking about it.
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010