My eight week old son will not take a nap durning the day. He does take cat naps but I want him to take a 2 to 3 hour nap, how do I get him to do that

brwnigrl

Asked by brwnigrl at 10:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he will eventually put himself on a schedule, try to put him down right after he eats, so he doesnt wake up hungry
    Anonymous

• My only suggestion is to try to keep him stimulated and entertained. My son seems to sleep more at daycare (be it cat naps or long naps) because I feel he is bored not receiving as much interaction as he does when he is home. Good Luck
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My daughter, after six months old, RARELY took day naps. She slept pretty good all night, but the naps were a thing of the past. She could lay quietly for an hour or so, but never actually napped. Now she only naps when she's REALLY sick, and even then, not so much. It may be that your son just doesn't like to sleep while the sun is out; he may be "wired" to enjoy it too much. As long as you can get him to stay in his crib for even 1/2 hour, even if he's crying, that will give you time to have coffee, read the paper, make a phone call, whatever. He'll either start going to sleep or learn to entertain himself during Mommy's Quiet Time.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Ha! Trying to make an infant do something that they dont want to do! Good luck....lol
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my son is three months old, and rarely takes a nap.. he's a great cat napper, but today i discovered something.. yesterday i tried very unsuccessfully to get him to take a nap in his crib.. NOPE, but today when i needed to go to the bathroom, I left him on the living room floor, and he fell asleep for an hour, he was on his tummy and no paci, i think he associates his crib as only night time... who knows, all babies are different, i just know that today was his first real nap in a long time..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I had the same problem! It drove me crazy! I read a book called the 90 minute sleep solution. It was written by a neurologist and sleep specialist. One of the first tips the book suggests watching their sleep signals (rubbing eyes, ears, becoming mellow). My daughter gets red around her eyes.

The next things sounds crazy but it really worked! The writer noticed that babies have a 90 minute sleep/wake cycle You would need to read the book but here is a little summary. Try putting your baby down for a nap 90 minutes after they wake up in the morning. When they wake up, wait 90 minutes and put them back down for a nap. My daughter is 15 months and she takes a nap 180 minutes after she wakes up and then 180 minutes after she wakes up from her nap. My niece is about 2 months is on the 90 minute schedule.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• DD gets really emotional if we don't put her down at the right time. And if we wait too long, she wont fall asleep but is really crank all day. Your baby might be a little different time wise but good luck!

I know it sounds weird. The book is called The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program by Dr. Polly Moore.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Our son did not take naps either. He only napped when in the car or a stroller all bundled-up. We tried the Magic Sleepsuit and he immediately started taking 2+ hr naps - not all the time, but pretty consistently. Check it out at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous