"Why did that building fall mommy?" "why is there so much smoke and dirt on this show mommy?"

This is what my 4yr old is asking my. Shows and reports of 9/11 are on every other channel.

What do i tell him? Planes crashed into those buildings? Id think not. I just keep changing the subject and changing channels.

It makes me want to cry actually, the way he is asking.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 2:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Turn off the tv or put on a kid's show. I know that it's something we shouldn't forgt about it, but I think he's a bit too young to be exposed to it right now. But try to explain to him as best you can what it was.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Just go outside and do something productive. Don't sit on the couch and continue to switch channels
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I remember I was home with my kids when this happended and I was dumb found, I couldn't believe this was actually happening. So very sad. Tell your child the truth. Explain in words they will understand, you don't have to go into depth.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Here's what I would do.

Pull him aside, give him a big hug and a kiss, tell him you love him and then tell him would do anything to protect him. Then try to explain what happened on that day as best you can without going into gory details.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Mine were that age when it happened, and DH is military so they heard plenty about it even with me trying to shield them. I found it easiest to change the subject or get them involved in something fun. Find a craft for him to do, put on a DVD, turn off the news. he will learn about it soon enough, it will be in history books forever. My boys were absolutely terrified because we had to go on and off base in the days after it happened (DH had to stay on base and couldn't come home for over a week), and they saw all the military personnel armed to the max, doing searches of every vehicle, sometimes searching their bags and anything they had with them too. For their questions the first day, I just explained to them that some really bad men had crashed the planes into those buildings and that daddy and other military people and cops and firemen were protecting everyone and that's why they were all there. Just limit exposure to it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Turn the tv off.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Its pouring rain outside or i would take them out. I was just trying to watch the news for the weather report but all im getting is this subject. I put a movie on (its nap time now). But my son will just keep asking untill i give him an answer that he thinks is exceptable.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i ahd my four year old play in her room while me and my 8 year old watched one documentary thismorning, i wanted my 8 year old to learn about it but i think its too much for my 4 year old. i would keep the tv off unless you plan on answering his questionstruthfully.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• But my son will just keep asking untill i give him an answer that he thinks is exceptable.

So tell him the truth. Why lie to kids when they have already seen what's happened? Tell him the truth but leave out the gory details. Tell him jerks attacked the US nine years ago and we kicked their butt for it.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with GinNTonic.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010