Question about WIC.

I am breastfeeding my son and was wondering if WIC would provide a breast pump for me to be able to use. My flow is more than my son eats so I am constantly leaking and would like to pump some and save it just in case. Do I have to ask them in adavance for the pump or just when I go to my appointment? I'd ask them but they are closed right now. Oh and I live in NY if that makes a difference

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 2:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When i was breastfeeding my daughter they offered me one for use. You just have to talk to them about it.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• They will provide one single manual pump. You need to call in advance and make an appointment with their specialist.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• yes! they will give you a manual pump if you are not working and an electric one if you are working. call them and ask them they will have it ready for you at your next appointment, maybe even got you in sooner.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• well I go tuesday so if I call monday and let them know would they have it for me the next day?
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Maybe we cant answer that for you. You have to wait and call. They may have some there and they may not.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• each county is going to offer different things. But most WIC offices do have pumps.

Who old is your baby? It is very normal to leak during the first 4 - 6 months.
    If you pump, you will only increase your supply which could make your leaking worse.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I believe they only give pumps to moms who are returning to work/school, and not all offices have the budget for pumps. Definately call.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Supposedly they will here, but they don't have any in stock and don't know when they will be getting any more in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Each wic office is different. The one on the army base in germany she gave me a brand new medela manual pump with accessories etc. The one here didnt.. But my Lactation consultant did give me a brand new $300 electric double pump a few months ago( shes on a army base in WA State)
    busybumblebe848

Answer by busybumblebe848 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010