What was the worst time you have ever had with your child?

When they were hospitalized or very ill?

My son was in the NICU for the first month of his life. He had Gastroschisis which is where the stomach skin dose not close all the way and the innards are out. The doctors got the innards all back where they should be but that was the worst thing with him.

My daughter was a couple days old and they were sending us home I told them that she had not peed yet they said that I was being paranoid. Well we went home and she got really really sick. We rushed her to the E.R and they did tests and said she had a bladder infection, dehydrated and a fever. They I.V'ed her and spinal tapped her...... She was in for a few days in the CICU then the nurse I told her I was like hey there is something wrong with her arm. Again they were like your being paranoid. Her arm was filling with fluid from the I.V. The nurse came in later for her "required" check in and was like oh my God and fixed it.

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Its on-going and nonstop. My youngest (19 months) has Neurofibromatosis type1. Its not SUPPOSED to cause failure to thrive, gastrointestinal problems, and metabolic problems, but we are dealing iwth all of these. There was a point we were worried that he was mentally handicapped because his lack of cognitive development, but he has caught up in those areas once his tummy felt better. The low tone and gross motor skills are still a big problem and so is his HUGE calorie requirement just to not loose weight. Every month we have to discuss whether or not its time for a G tube for continuous overnight feeds. So far we have avoided it, but its still on the table as a possibility if his metabolism doesn't slow down soon. He's expending way more calories now that he just learned to walk.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• When my 1st son had strep and a really bad cold. He admitted to the hospital and I was preggo and my dh was deployed scariest time of my life. His nose was so bad they had to suction out the mucus. But after a few days and meds he was ok to come home. I hated being so preggo and sleeping on the mini couch with my son since he didn't want to sleep in the hospital crib lol. But i would do anything for my kids.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 2:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Probably when my youngest DD had colic and screamed day and night for the first 13 weeks of her life =(
    madimoma

Answer by madimoma at 2:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The worst time I ever had was the six months before my son was diagnosed with cancer when he had fever after fever and they blamed me saying I was making him ill. Six months later we found out after he dropped twenty pounds and almost died going into pulminary arrest. This was when we found out he had cancer. He is better now but those were moments to make us stronger and they have.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• when ym son was around 7 months old, he had pale stools and wasnt gaining good weight. The dr. did some blood tests, the liver enzyme count was abnormally high, so he had to be hospitalized. he was dehydrated so he had to get an IV. He was there for a few days, getting blood test after blood test. the nurses constantly checked up on him around the clock so he never got any needed sleep. We were refere to a gastroenterologist for further testing. The office was a 3 hours drive. Fast forward to today, 2.5 years old, he is terrified of doctors. Just putting him on the scale or laying him on the table for a height check freaks him out because he fears they will hold him down and do a blood test. Nothing was EVER diagnosed! SO and I think it was rotavirus but it was never comfirmed.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• wow. nothing that scary has happened to my dd. but when she was 10days old she had some eye gunk. that was pretty scary because i had no idea what the heck it was. she as so little and she had to put drops in her eyes everyday a couple of times a day but she grew out of it. but that is about it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 2:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• no I have been lucky so far, you are strong ladies! Give yourself a pat on the back.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• thankfully my kids have been healthy (knock on wood)
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My son had to have surgery for pyloric stenosis when he was only three weeks old. It was so hard not knowing what was wrong and then having to let them wheel him away for surgery. Oh my gosh I thought I was going to break down. Thank God once the surgery was over he was well and he has never had an issue since.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Probably, when he was 8.5 months old and was walking,. fell, gashed his eyebrow open and we had to take him to the ER for sticthes and they strapped him down to do it. I bawled.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2010