Why does McCain keep saying Palin has experience with autism?

I know she has a special needs child, but her son has down syndrome not autism. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that her son having ds means she knows about all special needs children.

LolosMom

Asked by LolosMom at 10:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he just means the fact that she has a special needs child which both ds and autistic children are considered special needs.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i was wondering the same thing.... besides you can't diagnose autism until a child is older right?
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• autism is normally diagnosed around 18 months Victina
    Anonymous

• Trig is still very young, and though he has DS, she hasn't yet been exposed to the true hardships dealing with kids who have it. She will, yes... (or rather, her nannies will, should that be the case). If he were older, I would give her credit for being able to relate to families of DS kids.... but to lump all special needs kids under one very specific syndrome is selling it WAY short. Autism especially. Unless she has training with Autism research or education, she has no clue.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• thanks.. a dr i work for is dealing with possible autism with her 3 year old son.
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Her nephew has autism and she was part of reform legislature in Alaska to help education, including Autism Education Week Link

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I came on to post a similar question but you beat me to it :P

To me it seemed as though he was referring to Palin having an autistic son. He was not talking about special needs children, he was talking specifically about autism. Silly McCain just shows that he really does not know his VP. How can we expect them to work well together when they don't even know each other?
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• hey Victina, just sent you a PM :)
    Anonymous

• grlygrlz2 does it bother you that Palin supports special needs children only as she experiences them first hand in her family?
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• girlneffy? :What? Where is your proof on that? Now you are trying to fabricate a National Enquirer style gossip.

From the aforementioned article: "Members of education organizations in Alaska generally spoke favorably about Ms. Palin’s record on school issues since she took office in January of 2007. The governor has become a popular figure among the 13,000 members of the Alaska National Education Association, said Barbara Angaiak, president of the state affiliate of the National Education Association..."

Are you SEARCHING for issues?  Cause if you are, why does Biden support all the Amtrak initiatives and GOVT $$$ AND ride Amtrak to and from work?  Come on.. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2008