what is the normal feeding schedule of a 5 month old?

My daughter always seems to be hungry. It has gotten to the point that she eats every 2 hours. We started feeding her solids at supper time and have now started to feed her solid lunches as well. So what is the normal feeding habits of a 5 month old and should I be worried?

MomWeb

Asked by MomWeb at 10:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 4 1/2 months old and still nurses about every 2 hours even through the night. I think I'm pretty much his pacifier. He's not on solids yet though. But I don't think there is a "normal". I think they are all different.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son is 5 months old and he is also eating two meals aday (breakfast and lunch). At breakfast 6:30am we give him gerber and 4oz of formula; mid-morning a 6-7oz bottle, then around noon or 1pm another gerber and bottle. Later in the afternoon (4pm) he has another bottle and then a bottle at bedtime. This is not a set schedule, but tends to be his norm. Occasionally we have to add in another bottle in the afternoon, but that is becoming less frequent. You might check the amounts you are feeding (she may not be full). Good luck.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• At 5 months my little man was doing the same thing. He ended up eating about 30-40 oz a day of formula, along with two meals a day. Every 1 1/2-2 hours he wanted a bottle. Once I bumped it up to 3 meals a day he went down to about 24-30 oz a day.But again every child is different, and now with him being 8 months old it is a daily battle for him to eat his bottle. He wants only food... eek. Oh well. Also remember there is no "normal" for a child, as adults we are all diferent, as our little ones are also different. I just feed when hungry, and NEVER try to use a schedule until they are a bit older. Good luck :)
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Every two hours or more sounds about right..
    My first nursed that frequently and MORE until she was about 20 months and began to wean.. Solids don't make a difference as comfort nursing is a large part of it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• with 2 daily feeding of solids.. your baby should also be getting in the range of 25-35 ounces in 24 hours. It doesn't matter how often or in what amounts as long as it stays in the recommended ounces. For a more specific ounce calculation, you baby should get 2.5 ounces of formula per pound of body.

My personal experience was that my daughter didnt want as much formula at 5 months; she, too, was on solids twice a day.

hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You might consider a growth spurt, how many weeks is she? Babies have growth spurt at 2, 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 weeks, and so on every six weeks.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2008